Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Mapping!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I would suggest start by getting RobA's Subterrainian Map Prettier Script. Find a link to it and tons of other scripts here. Next is to get some textures(for the script) and some objects from where ever you can legally get them. rpgmapshare.com, cgtextures.com, gmsapprentice.com... I am sure there are others.

If you are new to GIMP, read follow RobA's tutorial for a Regional map. Even if you don't want or need a regional map or don't like the style it is a great way to learn a ton of things about GIMP in a short amount of time. And of course, I can't suggest my Layer Masks Tutorial enough

Create a work in progress thread in the appropriate forum and we will be happy to help with you on your progress.
    I must agree with everything jfrazierjr mentioned here. Especially the bit about the script and tutorial by RobA. JF's layer tut is "adequate" as well . I would also add that Isomage has created a decent plugin for generating a random cave. Combined with the script, It is REALLY easy to create realistic cave that will blow gamers away. The script can work with any black and white floor plan as well.

Just a few suggestions to get you on your way

Glad to have you here
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Interestingly, I have seen this request a few times...

I'd be willing to put together a tutorial on "creating a dungeon using gimp" but am not sure 100% what people would want to see....

Any suggestions for me?

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post

I'd be willing to put together a tutorial on "creating a dungeon using gimp" but am not sure 100% what people would want to see....

Any suggestions for me?

-Rob A>
    Something that could be easily adapted to Photoshop.

Any suggestions for me?

-Rob A>
    One option would be to use the tiles you created. I rather like that layout and think the little bit of story we got behind it was cool
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Any suggestions for me?

-Rob A>
    You might start by converting Duvik's Photoshop dungeon tutorial to the Gimp. I almost mentioned it, but trying to do a PS tutorial in the Gimp isn't a task I wanted to give to a beginner.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post Wow!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! It's nice to meet people that actually want to help others out. And its nice to get such a warm welcome!

I downloaded GIMP and I am a little confused. Unfortunately, I am a true true beginner to this type of thing and I am even worse with a pencil. However, I have been trying to read through and follow some of the suggestions that have been made. It's just confusing sometimes because I am not up on the jargon yet.

As to CC3, they say that they have a 14 day trial on the purchase. So I might try it out as well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As to the dungeon, I have been trying to find a way to make the dungeon maps from KoTS. I know that many others have already, but I figured that would be a good way for to see how well or not well I am doing.

If you dont mind tons of "stupid" questions, I wouldnt mind the help learning.

Shei

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

There are only two types of stupid questions: The question never asked, and the question asked repeatedly even though the answer has been given over and over and over again (The above was learnt over WAY too many years instructing in the army)

The people here are more than willing to help out. Ask any questions you have and there will be someone along in a bit to either answer the question or point you to the right place to find it.

As has been mentioned before (either here or else where) the best thing to do is find a tutorial that you like the results of, and follow it. iIt will often answer some questiojns and pique your curiousity about some of the other things you see in the program.

Curiousity = Goodness
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Welcome Sheilyn. As you can see answers to any type of questino are available just ask. Have fun with Gimp, it my app of choice and I have loved every minute of learning to map with it (well almost every minute).

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

and my specific gimp post is #16.
    Oh! I honestly don't remember having seen that. So yeah, there's a good tutorial for dungeons in Gimp (and Photoshop).
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12