Thread: D&D Campaign map - raised from the dead

Post D&D Campaign map - raised from the dead

Well, it has been quite a few month since our campaign (and consequently, this map) has not moved as our DM has left the country, so I decided to consider it done and post it here.

The WIP thread is located here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4396

The map was done on CC3 by drawing over a scan of a hand-drawn sketch given by the DM. The old paper background was created with GIMP following RobA's tutorial, and the CC3 map was converted to png and added to the GIMP drawing.

The only difference between this final version and the last WIP is that I replaced the labels that were written with a gothic font with hand-calligraphed text.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campaign Map parchemin 2009-07-04 low res.png 
Views:	1895 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	14630  
    Last edited by Fabrice; 07-05-2009 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Map updated: blue and orange colors tuned down

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

It looks real nice, but may i suggest u tone down a bit the orange and blue colors?

I agree with Zhar2. The map looks spectacular, but the blue and orange colors are a bit too much for me. What's up with the blue mountains anyway?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I see what you mean.

The original colors in the CC3 drawing were softer, but they got "emphasized" by the GIMP effects that I used to give a tattered feel to the paper.

There is no actual background justification for the blue color on the montain.
    I just saw the maps done by Sarah Wroot on the ProFantasy website and decided that I wanted to try the eponym style available for CC3.

But you are right to say that the blue and orange are now too distracting, so I lightened the colors in the CC3 drawing and imported it again to the GIMP (original post updated with modified drawing).

I think that the blue and orange are less dominant, with more of the paper texture showing through.

Thanks to both of you for pointing it for me!

I like this quite a bit! It reminds me of some of Tolkien's own original illustrations.

http://www.norphil.co.uk/2004/2004im...trblokbull.jpg

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Some of the calligraphy looks hand-lettered. Is that accurate, or if not how did you achieve that effect? (For instance, the lettering is imperfect and doesn't lie on a completely straight line; the two s's at the end of the word "pass" are different, etc.)
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Some of the calligraphy looks hand-lettered. Is that accurate, or if not how did you achieve that effect? (For instance, the lettering is imperfect and doesn't lie on a completely straight line; the two s's at the end of the word "pass" are different, etc.)
    I think he mentioned that it was hand-lettered.

Which is pretty amazing.
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Alecthar View Post
    I think he mentioned that it was hand-lettered.

Which is pretty amazing.
    So he did, which I would have noticed had I read the whole post.

Indeed, very fine work on the hand-written calligraphy!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I think it's a really great player's handout map. I think the colours are pretty effective too. I've seen the Sarah Wroot style, so maybe I'm biased(?), but I like it.

Well done.

DMG

I think you could tone down the saturation levels of the Wroot color styles you are using. I like the map, but more emphases needs to be given to the mountains in the form of a dark shading on the left side of each 'mountain chain' to make the mountains stand out more then just thin .3 point lines. Also... in my opinion I would lose the Font you are using as those hand-styled fonts never appeal to me much as a map is done usually to clarify some place or way to a place and that hand-scripted font just is too distracting. One other thing.. more forests or larger forested areas... thats just my opinion. Otherwise I like it.