Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January Entry: Ayvrst

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Wip January Entry: Ayvrst

Figured this would make a good first entry into the forums

Trying to do a hand-drawn style map. Might have to fade the background texture a bit, as I'm not sure I like how the mountains are looking so faded.

edit: And I forgot to post this: Background texture was created by princess-of-shadows
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.PNG 
Views:	82 
Size:	505.7 KB 
ID:	9134  
    Last edited by languard; 01-12-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: minor edit

What software are you using?

Post Welcome to the Guild and the Challenge!

Another Noob, posts his first thread in a Challenge - have some REP!

Comments so far...

1. I think your background is too strong and saturated, needs lightened a bit. It would make your hand-drawn portions stand-out better.

2. I like the mountains in the top right island, the more widely spaced ones on the right side island looks off to me somehow. Perhaps tighten them a bit more, not as much as the top island, perhaps.

3. Your coastlines - if you're emulating an ancient cartography style the coastlines might be exactly what you want. However, it might look more artistic to increase the roughness (while still keeping its current shape). Just a thought.

Keep up the good work, and welcome to the Guild! You should post a formal hello in the Member Intro forum.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It looks like you're using a black brush with a lowered opacity so I'd set the layer's mode to color burn or linear burn to make the lines look like a dark burnt brown. Jaggy-up that coast a bit too, as previously mentioned. The background looks fine to me for now but as it develops you might want to airbrush some tan to cover over some of the background and bring out the more important map bits...but that will come later. Solid start and will look forward to more.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Good guess, but not quite Acension. With the exception of some after-export cropping, everything is done in Campaign Cartographer 3. I did find a solution, though I'll wait until I've gotten more done before posting another thumbnail. Originally I was blurring the sheet the symbols were on, trying to get an 'ink bleeding' effect, but that took out the strength of the lines. After some thought I changed it to a glow effect, and that works much better. In fact, now that I think about it, changing the landmass sheet to glow/inner glow might help sharpen it up as well.

I wouldn't have guessed CC3, either. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree, no way I would of thought CC3 - this had GIMP/Photoshop written all over it in my mind.

If you aren't going to lighten up the background then I think you'll need to darken up the map symbols. Very tough to see at this point.

Looking forward to see where this goes and... Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ever so slowly a story is coming together for this map. I'll post some story later once it becomes a little clearer in my mind.

Tightened up the mountains, added in a forest, and dropped in a large salt marsh. At least, that's what that patch of blackish dots is suppose to be :p Need to work on that.

The city...not sure it will stay there.

Lightened up the background, and changed my blurs to glows which makes the symbols stand out much better.

Name:	contest_01.PNG 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	9189  
    Last edited by languard; 01-13-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Every fantasy world needs something wrong to keep the heroes occupied. And that tower is very wrong, hence the castle keeping a lookout over it.

The river...is not looking like I want it to. I'll need to play around with the sheet effects to see what I can do.

This is quite fun, working on maps like this.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	contest_02.PNG 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	9206  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm really liking this...river aside. Nice job, my man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast