Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hai

Post Hai

Hi I'm Ndshacker, Just call me ND.

I'm part of an online forum that hosts PRGs and I'm the unofficial mapmaker, but those are simple maps and I am looking to expand my knowledge so I came here,

I have GIMP, PhotoShop (3), Paint.net, Fractal Terrains, Dundjinni, AutoRealm, and Terragen. I was wondering, Which one would I use to make a full featured Terrain Map Several of my friends are asking me for very advanced maps and I dont know exactly how to make them.... I was working with Dundjinni, but I couldn't get it to change the colors or become smaller.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

There are several tutorials for GIMP & Photoshop here related to making the kind of maps you're looking for. There may also be some on Fractal Terrain & Terragen (but don't quote me on that ). There are also tutorials on doing hand drawn maps, if you want to go in that direction.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That didn't take long I think I'm going to like it here alot

Quote Originally Posted by Ndshacker View Post
    PhotoShop (3),
    Does that mean version 3? Or CS3? If the former, I'm not sure how many of the Photoshop tutorials you'll be able to follow. Photoshop's changed a lot since then. (Will that even run under Windows XP?)

If it's CS3, I'd start with the Zombie Nirvana tutorials that can be found on Youtube. Or follow RobA's regional map tutorial for the Gimp. If you need a random world map, that's a job for Fractal Terrains. Look for the tutorial entitled "There and Back Again" by Waldronate--the first part of the that one gives some invaluable guidance on using FT.

We actually don't have a whole lot of material for Dundjinni--they've got a superb user forum of their own at dundjinni.com Even those of us who don't use that software swing by there occasionally for their excellent free user-made objects.

I'm quite certain there are at least a couple of threads about Terragen, too, but nothing pops into my head immediately.

As for Autorealm... I suppose it has its place, but in my opinion, it's worth exactly what you paid for it. Though someone did come by and post some rather impressive Autorealm maps recently, so maybe I didn't give it a fair shake when I tried it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Look through the finished maps subforum to see what you like and then try to find the work in progress thread in the other subforums and see what software they used...that's where I'd start. Then look through the tutorials and pick one out and follow along. Welcome to The Guild. First rule of CG: post maps; second rule: talk about maps
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Does that mean version 3? Or CS3? If the former, I'm not sure how many of the Photoshop tutorials you'll be able to follow. Photoshop's changed a lot since then. (Will that even run under Windows XP?)

If it's CS3, I'd start with the Zombie Nirvana tutorials that can be found on Youtube. Or follow RobA's regional map tutorial for the Gimp. If you need a random world map, that's a job for Fractal Terrains. Look for the tutorial entitled "There and Back Again" by Waldronate--the first part of the that one gives some invaluable guidance on using FT.

We actually don't have a whole lot of material for Dundjinni--they've got a superb user forum of their own at dundjinni.com Even those of us who don't use that software swing by there occasionally for their excellent free user-made objects.

I'm quite certain there are at least a couple of threads about Terragen, too, but nothing pops into my head immediately.

As for Autorealm... I suppose it has its place, but in my opinion, it's worth exactly what you paid for it. Though someone did come by and post some rather impressive Autorealm maps recently, so maybe I didn't give it a fair shake when I tried it.
    Photoshop CS3,

I just found out I have a friend who has CC3, but he wants What he paid for it, minus a little. Is it worth the money?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well, I think CS4 is out, or about ready to be out, so if yer gonna pay near full price for 3 then wait and get 4. I got mine as part of a bundle that came with Illustrator and something else that I never use so for me, I plopped down 800 bucks for version 7 (before the CS stuff) and I think it has been worth every penny. To each their own, so others feel differently I'm sure.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

CC3 is a pretty good program, but if you're looking to spend money, I'd put it toward hardware first: a drawing tablet is an invaluable tool.

I don't use CC3 itself very much at this point--I prefer Photoshop for overland maps--but I do use one of its add-ons quite a bit. City Designer 3 makes laying out a city comparatively quick and easy.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Ascension Not to be rude, but I think you got it wrong :p

I have CS3 -Photoshop

I was asking if CC3 - Campaign Cartographer 3, was worth about 30 dollars

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sometimes I hate the fact that CS3 and CC3 look so similar.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast