Thread: A good drawing tablet?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post A good drawing tablet?

Hi together,
    this thread is inspired by shadowfanes thread in the WIP section ,where Arcana talked about buying a drawing tablet.

I played around with the thought of buying such a fine tablet too, and since I am an absolute rookie on this topic, I would like to ask, which tablets would be good e.g. would come in for a closer look:
    I thought about an A5 to A4 sized tablet.
    Oh yes, and it shouldn't be too expensive. *g*

Links would be great too.
    thanks
    Come to where the kobolds are...
    www.dnd-gate.de - The German D&D Community

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've come to find that Anything by Wacom is just sex when it comes to drawing tablets. They've got the art down, and I believe that anything else is probably going to be inferior in some tremendous way.

I started out with a little 4x5 inch tablet to use for my 3d modelling skinning process, when I was painting skins for game models. I'm trying to learn how to draw and paint a little more detailed now, so I needed to move up to something bigger.

I scored an Intuos 9x12 (I think...its at home so I can't double check) and its amazing. The only problem I've had with it is that for some reason I can't convince photoshop that the eraser end of the tablet should change to the eraser tool...but everything else works like a champ, and I believe the tablet is worth nearly 300 dollars. I got it by trading some double bass pedals.

Thats just my thoughts on the subject though...I'm going to probably attempt to tablet trace a map within the next few days. Check out some of the map sfrom Dungeon Magazine, and you'll see what I mean about how it appears some of their finest cartographers actually use CC2 to layout maps, then trace over them perhaps digitally.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I too have a Wacom tablet ... I think a A5 version Intuos, but not sure.
    Chose it after looking around at tablets and haven't regretted it for a minute
    Also visit Dundjinni, Four Ugly Monsters, the Nook, Battlegrounds Games, Fantasy Grounds, RPTools, RPGMapShare, Eruvian, Dragon Roots, RPG Virtual Tabletop, Troll Lord Games, GameMaster Syndicate and meny, many others