Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January Entry: Hermeiis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip January Entry: Hermeiis

Alright, here is the first WIP of my submission for the contest.
    It's been resized slightly, just because I hate files over 1MB about as much as I hate Hell, all Montagues and thee.

I figured I'd submit this stage of the process for one reason only: to call the river police and see if I made any errors in their jurisdiction.

Bit of background: this is the map for a world I originally intended to be the backdrop for a community story project.
    Got this cool story in your head, but wrote too much FanFictions so now you can't come up with a setting of your own? (Yup, that's my friends...) Use this one!
    Seen the map, liked the history? Add to it!
    Want to be part of something big? Here's your chance.
    Yeah, I don't think there will ever be an author for it besides me.

Regardless, here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hermeiis.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	862.3 KB 
ID:	9180  
    Last edited by Rahva; 01-12-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typos...

As you haven't placed any mountains it's too early to give a final verdict, but you are doing all right for now.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The only thing I see is on the upper-left land-mass it appears you have a river that is bisecting a 'narrow' strip of land. Not sure if that was intentional or not - or maybe its a canal of some sort?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Top left and top right lands both have river-motel (like a roach motel) that is they drain into a lake and never come out to the sea. If this is meant then it's all good, otherwise just 2 more strokes of the pen.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

No comments about the rivers, but I love that spiral-shaped peninsula in the southeast corner.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Wip

Here's the next WIP version, still no mountains on it, but that's next on the agenda.

Name:	Hermeiis.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	535.8 KB 
ID:	9193  

Nice color, kind of chocolatey...now I'm hungry.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Here it is again, now with more mountains. And huge filesize, don't expect it to load quickly.

Should I add some fluff to this when it is done? Like backstory on the history or certain places, etc? I'd like to, but if it's just gonna be a wall of text that nobody reads then I won't bother you with it There's some interesting stuff in there but I don't know about the format it should be in and such.

Also, where can I get one of those fancy nameplate-like things with the scale and name of the thing on it? I'm sure there's a template somewhere.

Name:	Hermeiis.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	9220  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The back story is a nice to have, but not a necessity. I usually write up something and then attach it as a .pdf so folks can decide for themselves whether they want to read it or not.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I don't read most of the story stuff...I'm not a writer and I'd probably get off topic more than I normally do. I'm sure that a fair number of members read those things tho. If there is something in the story that helps explain certain features in the map then include some sort of description. As for that nameplate thingie, it's called a cartouche (proper term) but call it whatever you like (I call it a headboard 'cause that's what they remind me of). Most of us make our own but there's tons of clipart and a whole smorgasbord of things in books to scan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast