Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old School Style Map - The Kingdom

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The trees definitely look better, the mountains may need to be crowded together a bit more *shrugs*, matter of taste I think.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Great map. I like the changes you made to the trees and mountains.

Also, if feel like it, take a look at my tutorial on ISO mountains(link in my sig). I don't think it's right for the map as is, but if you do decide to throw some color in there, the smudge trick can really make the mountains and hills pop and blend with the surrounding terrain.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Jfrazierjr: Yeah, i was looking at that yesterday and thought it would look good for a color one. I'll have to give it a shot when I colorize this.

Steel General: Aye, the mountains will mostly be closer together on the big map, more like they are on the original. This was just to get a feel for how the variety looked.

Thanks, you folks are a great help on this, I appreciate the comments and pointers
    \"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.\"
    - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Malakor View Post
    Jfrazierjr: Yeah, i was looking at that yesterday and thought it would look good for a color one. I'll have to give it a shot when I colorize this.

Cool... if you want to see how this would look if you drew them all as a single entity instead of as brushes, check out this thread. It's not finished yet, but it should give you an idea of how the mountains blend together as a unit. I have not tired, but I would expect with some careful fiddling, you could use the some brushes to get something just as good by using the smudge tool after you lay all your shapes down, though PS has more limits on it's brushes than GIMP does. Also, don't think that that trick is only for mountains. You can get some nice effects with trees also by drawing the color around, but of course this can get very tiresome if you tons of trees and the brushes in PS won't save them correctly(which I am not sure about).
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Quote Originally Posted by Malakor View Post
    I got a few minutes free after lunch (ok, I TOOK a few minutes ) and made a handful of tree and mountain brushes, including a new tree cluster with the various trees in it.

The attached is a test cluster of mountains and trees.

How does this compare to those on the original map?

Think this will work better? (I'll use these in conjunction with the brushes I made last night at home, I saved each of the PSD files as I made these brushes)
    Yes, they will definitely work better. Maybe place some single trees near the forests as well.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Wip

Tonight's update.

I've gone in and put in new mountains and forests with the new brushes I made. I think some progress has been made here.

I'm not 100% satisfied with the gradient I put under the canyon, but perhaps it looks less like a lake now

I'm open to suggestions on what to do with that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-Kingdom_overview_3000x2250_011309.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	9223  
    Last edited by Malakor; 01-13-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: (added comment about canyon)
    - Charles Bukowski

Coming along very nice!

I would think about reducing the size of the swamp symbols. They are rather overwhelming with the other symbol sizes.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Help

Tomorrow I'm planning on working on the Rivers.

I'll only be placing a few of the major ones on a map of this scale.

I've marked in red where I intend to place them, and I'd greatly appreciate any comments or kicks in the head as needed in relation to my intent if anyone has any input to offer.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river-placement.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	9224  
    - Charles Bukowski

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

It looks pretty good, but the tree clumps still have a regularity about them that looks just a bit unnatural, though this is an improvement.

I'd suggest either creating several different-looking tree clumps (especially, with different shapes to them), and/or adding in a few randomly scattered individual trees to break up the regular appearance.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

It's a very dry land, and your rivers are very straight. I think it would be good to see a really long river coming out of those mountains in the southwest and meandering across that huge plain to end on the east coast, probably in that large bay. Or possibly even in the inlet near the southern-most city.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast