Thread: Old School Style Map - The Kingdom

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Old School Style Map - The Kingdom

I'm trying to figure out what I want to run the next time I get time to run a game, and I usually start with my maps.

I've been doing my maps by hand, and then with the DOS (later Windows) version of CC, and then with Illustrator and Photoshop over the years, but even when I've created really 'pretty' and detailed full colored, textured maps, I've not been 100% happy with them. There is just something about the 'old-school' or hand-drawn style that I find appealing, so that's what I'm going to try and re-create in this map.

If I can't wind up making myself happy with this version, I'm probably going to go back to doing them by hand, and possibly scanning them in afterwards.

I found a Tutorial by RPGMapmaker for how to do custom mountain brushes with PS. I'm familiar with making custom brushes, but I really liked the style he showed in his Tutorial (Thank you Kindly sir, and I hit your rep button while I was there).

Anywho. . . It inspired me to create a set of brushes tonight and start on my map.

The below is what I put Together in about 4 hours.

Everything to this point has been done in Photoshop, with lot's o' layers (I'm very fond of layers), but of course the link is a flattened version of what I'm currently working on.

I'm putting off the rivers til I read a few of the river tutorials, because Rivers have always been a bit of a weak point for me.

This is slightly reduced in size for uploading. The original I'm working on is set up to be 24x18 at 300 dpi

C&C is welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-Kingdom_overview_3000x2250.jpg 
Views:	715 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	9184  
    \"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.\"
    - Charles Bukowski