Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: January Entry: The Lost Continent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This looks really nice Bryguy...great job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, looks real nice. I still think that the page edges need some work, they kind of stand out when seen with the rest. They're too much like copies of the top one, moved over a bit. Not sure how to fix that other than by hand but the rest is great and I'd hate to see people downgrade it 'cuz of the edges.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Yeah, looks real nice. I still think that the page edges need some work, they kind of stand out when seen with the rest. They're too much like copies of the top one, moved over a bit. Not sure how to fix that other than by hand but the rest is great and I'd hate to see people downgrade it 'cuz of the edges.
    That is a good point and I would have to agree. The pages look too uniform. Perhaps add some tears and some shape differences between them (and maybe just a little more anti-aliasing to the edges to soften them up).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Or even a bit of burn on some of them to show additional aging?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice touch on the strange writing, it does make more sense that a completely foreign/alien culture would not use the roman script. I agree with the others about the page edges, but the curvature of the book looks pretty awesome now
    I'm not sure I mentioned this in my first reply but I love the little crabs too.

It looks a bit elvish around the ears.
    Tengwar?

@--> Steel/Nomadic/Ascension

Yea I think Im gonna try to redo the pages so that they are not all exactly the same, just moved over a bit

Antialiasing is probably a good idea, and I like the idea of burn and such on some

So different types of pages, burns, cuts/tears, did i get all of it?

@-->Rahva

Thanks

@--> Hoel

Yep, it is

Found it while searching for a good font the other day, and I loved the look of it so I downloaded and installed it

Thanks for the comments guys, Ill fix the pages tomorrow
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Not to be elitist or mean or anything, but I think tengwar is kind of over used. It looks great, I love it myself, but I wouldn't use it for anything non-tolkien related.
    There's less recognizable and less used fonts out there.
    Maybe i'm just a bit nerdy, I guess a trekkie would way the same if you used klingon letters...
    Your map is very good and I like what you've done with the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    Not to be elitist or mean or anything, but I think tengwar is kind of over used. It looks great, I love it myself, but I wouldn't use it for anything non-tolkien related.
    There's less recognizable and less used fonts out there.
    Maybe i'm just a bit nerdy, I guess a trekkie would way the same if you used klingon letters...
    Your map is very good and I like what you've done with the book.
    thanks

I guess I can try out some other types of fonts to, just to see what they look like. I have an Aurek besh font stored away somewhere, along with a star gate Guo'old one. Ill browse around and try things out to see if anything works better

edit: found some at dafont that look cool

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=...ge=1&nb_ppp=50

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=...ge=1&nb_ppp=20

First is some ancient looking ones, second is just foreign. I prefer Elvish Ring, Sanguinas Curae, Alphabet of the Magi, Tengwar Gandalf and Tengwar Teleri and Tengwar Noldor

Oh so many good ones... which do u guys think would look best? if u want, I can put up a version with all of them or different versions for each one.

For some reason I just love the tengwar fonts
    Last edited by bryguy; 01-15-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

Okay Ive redone the pages, and I think they look much better

I could hardly tell the individual pages apart from one another on the right side, so I gave them a slight drop shadow on the right.

I also scaled down the text at the bottom (it may be a little blurry, but that happened when I scaled it down to 1000x1000) , since it wouldnt fit at the size it had been with the new pages.

Havent had time to try out different fonts yet, but Ill do that in the next version

Now I have to get off for a bit, but Ill get back to work on it later

edit: ah i think i figured out why some of it is blurry. I think I used the wrong type of scaling, and the type i used blurred it

Also, I forgot the Latest WIP thing..

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookbig4.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	9287  
    Last edited by bryguy; 01-15-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast