Thread: General world map, input needed about geography & climate

Question General world map, input needed about geography & climate

I'm no artist, I intend to submit a map request later on, but first I'm interested in seeing that I'm creating a plausible map, geographically and climatologically.

The map itself uses very rudimentary drawings, but here's the key:

Blue areas: water/lakes
    Dark red: mountain range
    Green: land mass
    Orange-ish: desert

So here's a few questions I have concerning my map.

Upper right continent

The general western area of this continent resembles the oceanic climate according to the Koppen climate classification.

As you move eastward, the climate & geography tend toward a steppe/semi-arid climate and continues onward as such past the black border until you reach the desert.

The small island to the west of the far right continent should also have an oceanic climate. Specifically, these areas should be very similar to western Europe.

The small peninsula jutting out of the north of this continent should be humid continental (i.e., New England & parts of Canada).

The eastern area of this continent should be divided into two parts. The upper part should be more humid continental and the lower part should tend more to humid subtropical (i.e., Japan and parts of China).

The island on the bottom right should have tropical climate (is it too far south of the equator?) in general.

The climates of the other continents aren't all too important at this moment, as they are not the central focus of my world.

This is a world map, with the planet's circumference ~25,000 miles with the same axial tilt, distance from the sun, etc of the earth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map4.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	9205  
    Last edited by alman9898; 01-13-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off...Welcome Aboard! Be sure to drop a post in the introductory thread.

Unfortunately I'm not knoweldgable in the whole 'climatology?' thing, but there are those here that are I am sure they will be along and can answer your questions(s).

Also, it would be better to upload your image here in the forums.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm not too sure about the mountain ranges on the leftmost continent. I think there should be a few north-south ones as well, probably on the west side, considering this continent probably drifted westward away from the other two.

Aesthetically speaking there could be some more curves in your rivers instead of them all being mostly straight. This all depends on the terrain of course, but it's certainly not impossible. Maybe add some branches to them... Some more variation there would be nice.
    Another thing you might want to consider adding (maybe at a later stage) is some more small islands.

I don't know much about climate, so I'll leave that to someone else. It sounds like you've thought about it a lot though.

First off, thanks for the input. Second off, the thing about the rivers actually hit me right after I posted this thread. I'm actually using a program called Fractal Mapper (which is simpler than CC3) to generate the rivers, so the rivers themselves weren't as varied as they could be.

As for climatology, I'm not looking for anything terribly detailed, just enough to be able to describe the different environments of the continents.
    Last edited by alman9898; 01-14-2009 at 02:09 AM.

Sorry to double post, but here is an updated version of the map:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map5.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	9233