Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first town: Feymire

Post My first town: Feymire

Hello.

Faymire, made in photoshop, approx 5 hours.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feymire.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	9197  

Nice job!

I really like the style.

My only nitpick is that the lighting direction is inconsistent. Specifically, the shadows on the headstones show the light from 1:00, but the roof lighting doesn't always agree.

How did you draw the buildings? Freehand, or as orthagonal rectangles that you then rotated?

-Rob A>

I like this map, and while cities aren't really my thing, I've got some nitpicks if you want them.

The texture on the trees looks kind of like stone. You might shade them a little instead.
    I like the edge to the map, but I think that the map going on beyond it doesn't look so good.
    I'm not sure if the carts are exactly to scale.
    What I'd like is to see a key for important places. Like, this is the inn, this is the temple to god X, this is the governor's house, this way to the capital, this road goes there, etc. But that's just personal preference.

Anyway, again. I like the map, especially for a first town and especially for photoshop

Cities aren't really my thing either, but your map looks good. Love the little touches like the barrels and carts.

Some things I noticed:

- The shadows of the tombstones are bigger than most of the houses. Most houses have bigger shadows than the church. If you are going for realism this is of course a bad thing. But it doesn't really bother me as it can fit with the style of this kind of map.
    - The background is all the same color. You might want to add some more sandy or grassy looking areas.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Congrats on your first town!

This 'cartoony' (best description I can think of) style isn't neccesarily to my taste but that doesn't mean that it isn't a great start. Other than the issues with the shadows noted above (and shadows are a tricky thing to master), I think it's pretty good. The texture on the trees could be better but I don't think it's a big deal really.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Yeah I think its pretty good. Its a good basic map for playing a game on. Sure theres a few things we could do a little more with but it wouldn't transform it drastically. I like those black outlines in a kind of cartoony kind of way too. I think you have done well and I am glad you posted it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that the problem with the headstones is that the mounds don't look like mounds, or freshly dug areas, they look like shadows going the wrong direction (look closer the headstones have a shadow going with the other shadows). I only have 3 bits that I'd tweak...I like the pattern for the trees but the trees lack 3d depth like the roofs so maybe a black airbrush around the edges to give it some depth; the road looks a lil rough; and erase the bits under the frame that poke through. I like the color scheme and I think it's a very nice map, all in all. Pretty good job, keep 'em comin.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for your tips and compliments. I made this map to see if i could
    I'll be improving it a bit in the comming day's but i'll probably focus on a new map and a different style, thats just my way of learning.

The shadows and highlights on the roof are quite work intensive, i guess i could play with a bevel, but i think that looks a bit plastic.

Any tips for easy building shadowing?

Here's my last improvement!

Hope you like it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feymire2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	348.5 KB 
ID:	9221  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great improvements... especially the graveyard.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast