Thread: First map, unnamed.

Map First map, unnamed.

This is my first map I have finished.

It is done entirely in GIMP, using modifications to techniques I picked up mostly from RobA's wonderful tut. It took some doing to figure out how to get a lot of his methods to work an such a large scale, and I encountered a lot of difficulty.

Yes...I know the rivers are WAY too thick, unfortunately, I can't go back to the original .xcf file and change them because I had already saved the changes before exporting. Oh well, one small problem.

I haven't labeled anything yet, but I will get around to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Test.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	946.1 KB 
ID:	9199  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Not bad, not bad at all.

Many of us used RobA's tutorial as a starting point and went on from there. I don't think that the rivers are to thick, it really depends on the scale of the map, or maybe they are just 'honking big' rivers!

Looking forward to seeing the finished version
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Very spiffy!

The rivers look fine to me, reminds me of coast areas with large channels between islands.
    I'm hacking my way into the cartographical realm with AutoRealm, AutoCAD, GIMP, and Google Sketchup as my tools!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages
    because they know they can be impolite without
    having their skulls split, as a general thing."

Blog Entries

Pretty good. I am not a Gimp user but I have seen a lot of maps with the fractal clouds pattern where there is this 45 degree pattern on top. Not sure what causes it exactly but if it were possible to mix a few together with rotations in between then it might help.

Although my fix has knackered up the coast, here is what its like without the 45 deg lines. Maybe you can put the two maps on different layers and mix the best of each.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	9202  

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Pretty good. I am not a Gimp user but I have seen a lot of maps with the fractal clouds pattern where there is this 45 degree pattern on top. Not sure what causes it exactly but if it were possible to mix a few together with rotations in between then it might help.

Although my fix has knackered up the coast, here is what its like without the 45 deg lines. Maybe you can put the two maps on different layers and mix the best of each.
    It is an artifact of gimp's fractal cloud algorithm.

As pointed out before, there is a better one without this problem here: http://fimg-gmplugins.sourceforge.net/

-Rob A>

Thanks for the feedback.

@redrobes: How exactly did you manage to fix that without completly destroying the bump map? I'm very interested.

@RobA: Oooh, thanks! I think you just made me a very happy person.

Hmm, some of the features of this plugin are handy, but I can't get any detail on the noise patterns it generates, so it's pretty much useless, any help forthcoming?

I think I understand your question...

The Felimage noise plugin works the inverse of the built in cloud plugin.

The built in one is based in the size of the image. This means if you make a 100x100 image, filled with rendered clouds, and a 1000x1000 image filled with rendered clouds then scaled it by 0.1, you would end up with the same result. It also has the effect of making the x/y noise ratio match the image size, so an image with a 2:1 ratio will render noise that looks stretched. The detail spinner sets the detail amount, the size sets the inverse size.

The Felimage noise filter lets you specify the actual x/y size of the noise in pixels. The default values give results comparable to the build in cloud filter.

-Rob A>

Got it. Thanks!