Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: January Entry: Pick a name you like

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I definitely prefer the atlas one to the original. It seems much brighter and cleaner too.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like them both - shows that a lot of differing looks can be done with your "base style".

Kudo's my friend.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I second the atlas look, it looks awesome.

Guild Member

I love this map, but I'm going to be different and vote on the first. Clean colors and all that is fine, but I think the first has more character and I'm a jewel-tone intense look kind of girl myself. Keep up the good work. Hey, this is something I'd want on my wall!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Tonight's update has no pic cuz I don't wanna fill up server space unless I have a good reason to do so. Basically, I just added country borders and capitals (like in the Narthaine map) and there's no real need to post that anyway since you know what that'll look like. Tomorrow I'll be adding the rest of the cities/towns and roads/trade routes then Tuesday I'll start naming all that stuff. By then I'll probably hate it all as I'm already contemplating a 4th variation (something really techy like how you see those planets in sci-fi movies covered entirely with cities). Not sure if I'll do that or save it for something else tho 'cuz it's something I'm just starting to think my way thru.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

They all look very nice and eye-catching, but I think I prefer the first style (the satellite).

Not sure if I'll be able to finish...my fridge blew up, well something melted and it stinks like burnt wiring and burnt hair...I'm guessing a motor. Couldn't even sleep in my house the other night cuz it was making me sick. So I've been fridge shopping and re-arranging money so I can get a new fridge (probably tomorrow) and am currently using my old college dorm fridge yay me. So that only gives me like 1 or 2 days to do anything with labels n such, which I absolutely hate anyway. If I can do anything I'll put it up but otherwise I'll just go back and edit a post to put the correct wip tag on the image I want to use.

Ciao 4 now.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looking great so far. I particularly like the atlas style. Shame this will get dropped, and I'm really sorry to hear about the fridge - what a pain. Those rivers alone are worth finishing the map for - that must have taken you a while.

For rivers I designate one whole night (about 5 or 6 hours). I start with a big ole pencil and do in some rough layouts then go back with a 1 or 2 pixel pencil and zoom in to 200% (so that I can see the hills) and then put the finals rivers in. I probably need to change the opacity as they get lost in some areas. Since I can't really do anything tonight I'll get some fast food and a cooler of ice and see how far I can get.

Got capitals, cities and towns in (still need to do villages) got some preliminary roads in and started labeling stuff. Massive amounts of labeling left to do as well as finalize roads. It doesn't look quite as good scaled down so I'll post up a chunk of the full size image for better perspective.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-09-Cha-Asc-2.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	9517  
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-26-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast