Thread: Avani's Western Lands

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Avani's Western Lands

Howdy Folks!

So after posting my last work in progress when it was very near completion, I realized that the comments and criticisms would have been invaluable earlier in the construction of the map. Ergo, with my regional maps started, I am posting the works far earlier to get more feedback and hopefully an even better end result.

So, the first regional map of Avani is its Western Lands. Currently I have roughed in my mountains, rivers, and forests and with more space to add further details plan on adding any swamps and marshes. I'll also be adding more cities of various sizes and roads if I can swing it. I am considering adding borders between kingdoms, but have no decided for certain.

Stylistically, I'm hoping to lean toward a more aged parchment paper look. I am going to experiment with a larger, yet still subtle, color palette. I have incorporated the Woodcut look around my land's borders this round after struggling with it on the overworld Avani map.

Text and map legend is in very early stages (meaning almost nonexistent at this point) and will be expanded on once most of the mountains and colors are complete. Also locations and roads will be added at that point as well. The major rivers will be somewhat revised and minor rivers will be added as well.

All these things being said the two maps I have included to start are some of the earliest versions. The first is very roughed in, while the second is beginning to provide more detail and some slight color.

If anyone has any suggestions or criticisms I would love to hear them. Keep in mind that the text, rivers, and other landmarks will be put thru a "displacement" filter to give them more depth and attempt soften them at the same times.

Otherwise, I'll just keep plugging away at it and post updates when I can.

Thanks folks!

Wag
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AvaniWest01.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	9333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AvaniWest02.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	9334  
    Last edited by Wag; 01-16-2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar