Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animaar

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip Animaar

OK - Very slow day at work today so I started playing around with something to make the day go faster. I decided to return to the world for which my Magus Aerie was created - Animaar.

This is a very early WIP, the water will probably be completely redone other than the shorelines. The continents were created using RobA's "Not So Random Coastline" tutorial.

Next I probably need to figure out the rivers (my favorite thing to do) and the mountains. Since this will be something I only get to during down times at work progress will likely be slow.

Feel free to comment, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Animaar-WIP1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	4.45 MB 
ID:	9342  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm not sure that you'd be able to see the beaches at this scale (world scale) but it's an interesting look. What interests me is that the green could be used as a tree canopy (need to add trunks) and that could be a neat lookin thing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I see what you mean about the beaches...I could go with something like the Magi magically raised the land masses from up out of the ocean. One for each of them to 'lord over' and the small one in the middle is neutral ground. Change the texture of the 'beaches' and they could be plateaus or mesas or something.

I'm not sure I'd want to try and put tree trunks on there, but its always a possibility, and something I haven't tried before.

Who knows, I may not even go anywhere with this at all.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Even if ya don't go anywhere, I'd think about making the beaches wider in order to try out the tree trunk/canopy thing in a regional style map just to see how it goes. Anyways, cheers.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

OK, so I had a bit of time today and was messing around with some things I hadn't really tried before.

- Dropped the 'beach' and replaced it with a smaller darker rock
    - Played around with the water - trying some different textures, etc.

Below is just the small central landmass/island.

The mountains were done by selecting the outlines of the landmasses, applying a dark brown and tan cloud layer and applying a pattern overlay to that. I moved this layer below the grass layer and used a mask to allow the mountains to come through. There is a slight gaussian blur to help blend the mountains into the grass. I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

@Ascension - I still may try your idea of expanding the beach and adding tree trunks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magus Island.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	549.8 KB 
ID:	9479  

I like it, it looks good! But my dirty mind thinks of dinosaur poo when i look at that mountain.

Well it is just an experiment - since I used a mask to let it 'show through' it's very easy to rework the shape. Not sure when I'll get back to this, things seem to be picking up a bit at work.

I like the ambient 'blueness' makes me think its isolated and at sea. It looks sort of like its seen through a dark window or in a scrying ball .

I dont know how you'd do it but I'd think there'd be some variation caused by tide or wind. Beaches more visible on the windward side or alternately in the lee of the island.

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 01-21-2009 at 01:27 PM.

@Sigurd - I still have the beach layer. I suppose I could add it back then 'shift' it in the appropriate direction. Have to remember to give that a try.

I took a trick I learned from Ascension (I'm sure others use it too) for the oceans. I'm always 'complaining' how his maps are dark, so he sometimes puts a layer of white set to soft light to brighten things up. Well to 'deepen' the blues a bit I did a similar thing with a layer of black. It was an experiment, but I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

Guild Applicant

Well it looks good except that all the continents are evenly spaced. This makes a map a little unbelievable so try to nudge some of the continents closer together or fasther apart to get a more natural feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast