Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 25][Location 4] - Port Magalie

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Your walls/bridges across the river could look like arched Roman-style aqueducts but instead of transporting water, they'd let people across. Then you could drop pitch or rocks on top of any intruding boats. Narrow-spaced archways could then only allow smaller boats and pretty much deny anything other than canoes or fishing boats. Of course this could only really be depicted in ISO or profile views but you could do up a shadow that shows the arching. Catapult stations are a good idea too, especially on the high cliffs, as are the chains. Oh and by the way, this looks outstanding so far and as SG said, the colors are very sweet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Your walls/bridges across the river could look like arched Roman-style aqueducts but instead of transporting water, they'd let people across. Then you could drop pitch or rocks on top of any intruding boats. Narrow-spaced archways could then only allow smaller boats and pretty much deny anything other than canoes or fishing boats. Of course this could only really be depicted in ISO or profile views but you could do up a shadow that shows the arching. Catapult stations are a good idea too, especially on the high cliffs, as are the chains. Oh and by the way, this looks outstanding so far and as SG said, the colors are very sweet.
    This is more of what I had in mind; you've found the words for it where they escaped me--thanks for that. I don't know that I can put the chains in the map, but I can sure add it to the description in the wiki.

To be honest, I'm not especially familiar with the way medieval cities operated; would I want to stop shipping from passing through here completely by making narrow-spaced archways that would only allow smaller boats?

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    To be honest, I'm not especially familiar with the way medieval cities operated; would I want to stop shipping from passing through here completely by making narrow-spaced archways that would only allow smaller boats?
    Well, that depends. Can boats travel up a river or something or is this just a bay? From the few things I have read about this port I know it is located in hostile territory. So it needs strong fortifications. But trade is also the lifeblood of the city, especially trade by water. So I think they wouldn't really want to limit the size of (trading) vessels.

Anyway, I think with chains in the water, catapults, trebuchets and ballistas on the walls and cliffs and those arches from where defenders can throw down rocks, pitch and other kinds of nasty stuff, you really wouldn't want to sail your boats too near the city. I am thinking the city has its own navy and might even have some fireships (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ship). Sail them into the enemy fleet that is packed in that gorge and things will get really nasty

You can't really map the chains, but if you are going to label the city, maybe you can label some of the (chain) towers?
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 01-17-2009 at 05:26 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    It depends on what's up-river. If the cities further inland are in competition, then forcing oceangoing vessels to offload here and reload their goods onto river ships means the city rulers can get a bigger cut of the profits--they get to tax two boats instead of just one, can force more of the goods into their own economy, etc. On the other hand, that'll make the city a bigger target. Everyone will want to control it, so they'll have to put a significant part of that extra money toward defense.

Also, if it becomes too much a problem to bring goods through this river, it's a good bet that they'll go somewhere else. Like water, trade follows the path of least resistance, and sometimes building a new coastal city at the head of a land route is easier and cheaper than dealing with a draconian local government.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Go with wide arches then, there would be a port authority/customs house here anyways and that navy too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I had a few minutes since I'm off work today. I think this one is just about ready to add to the wiki.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port Magalie.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	458.1 KB 
ID:	9506  

Seriously gorgeous, ig! I especially like the way you incorporated the scale bar into the title, though I'm not sure of its general effectiveness. It took me a few moments to interpret what you were doing. It may be, though, that I was really slow on the uptake.

Whether it's effective or not, though, I like it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice work IG! Will be a great addition to the WIKI.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very sweet looking map, industrygothica! Repped of course...
    I love the coloring and the way the walls and docks turned out.

The only nitpicks I have:

- There is still a lot of unused space within the city walls. But it doesn't really bother me.
    - How are the people getting down from the cliffs?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

An excellent blend of the aesthetics of art and the function of cartography. Well done and much praise (wish I could achieve something like this).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast