Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January 2009 Entry: East Tharduur

Wip January 2009 Entry: East Tharduur

Tharduur, was a world map I created a while back and I liked the FT world so much that I decided to make more comprehensive maps out of it. In this map I actually follow the mountain ranges that I basically ignored in the world map. The name is still up in the air because I want this to be a separate world from the other.

There is still a lot of work to do and I hope I can finish it. The town names are all generic name generated and eventually I will probably replace the more "corny" names eventually.

I had to bring the size of the file down quite a bit, but it looks ok except for the the full view which does not show the mountains very well.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	East5.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	3.94 MB 
ID:	9378  
    Last edited by Bohunk; 01-17-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

it doesn't show on the thumbnail, but when you look at the full picture, the grid lines seem to "cut up" the rest of the map. Maybe tone them down a bit.

Looks good otherwise.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Impressive looking map so far, Bohunk. I like the fact you are only using a couple of colors. Gives the map an older look and hides the fact it is being created digitally.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the way you've applied the "woodcut effect" to create hills...very original idea. Holy frejoles that's a lot of naming, kudos for that. Lookin good so far, no crits from me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow, this is another Bohunk special...I was wondering when we were going to see one! I love the original way you've done the mountains. Top marks and repped from me!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I always enjoy looking at your work Bohunk, very inspiring and well executed.
    Last edited by Steel General; 01-17-2009 at 04:31 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Beautiful map, I like the style.
    Good luck.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Wow, this is very pretty

A couple of things:
    The territory borders don't follow the actual territory. Meaning the line goes off the coast, see: Valport, Northshore, most of the unlabeled blue islands.
    I'm not too sure about the little red/brown smudges. They look okay zoomed out, but close up it looks rather strange. Maybe lower the opacity a bit?
    I'm not sure about the scale on this, but the placenames all look to be of more or less the same origin (old british with a dash of fantasy). If the area is large and spans more cultures, I think the names should be a little more diverse. Of course 3 out of 5 continents haven't been labeled yet so I might be a bit preemptive saying this.

I really really like the mountains, and if you have the time I'd love to see a tutorial for it
    The fact that the map is sort of off-center makes it very interesting. Draws in the eye, so to speak. The lack of color is also very effective.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the final product!

This looks great

I dont really care tho how some of the lines end short and dont go all the way
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Thanks for the replies fellas. New update; I just wanted to get the bulk of the titles done with. I still wanna go back and rename some/most of them.

Korash: Absolutely right sir, I blurred the grid and brought the opacity down a bit.

Rahva: On many of the parchment maps that I look at with the outlines such as these the artist does not follow the coastline exactly which shows, I think, the hand drawn feel.

Again thanks for the advice guys and keep it coming.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	East6.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	4.63 MB 
ID:	9386  
    Last edited by Bohunk; 01-17-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: ### Latest WIP ###

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast