Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GamerPrinter, did you know that Xara went open source?

Hmm If you are using linux on your old pc and wanna use ubuntu I'd recommend to use xfce ubuntu version (which is afaik called xubuntu). XFCE is a lightweight window manager, which means it needs much less ram than gnome or kde. The design of XFCE is close to Windows, so you wont have much problems with it.

If you like linux, I also would recommend to test out Linux Mint. Linux Mint is a distribution that is based on Ubuntu but offers a few more config tools, making it even easier to use. The standard Linux Mint is based on Gnome, but there is also a XFCE version of it.
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Hmmm... I'd have to wait 30 days before I can download another iso (bandwidth limits). I do have a 12 month old copy of Linux Mint lying around. I'm not sure which version. The PC I'm running on is an AMD Athlon 1700+ with 1GB RAM, and a Radeon 9600XT 256MB video card.

Regarding Xara Xtreme and brushes? Um, Xara Xtreme is a vector drawing program with powerful raster features, plug-ins and a very fast rendering engine. It can create websites with java buttons. Its a light-duty Flash animator.

But its not a paint program, such as Photoshop or GIMP, so its not likely to ever get brushes. Like many of us, here at the guild, we don't always rely on just one application to create our maps. Xara might be an excellent combination with what you use now, Asharad.

GP

PS: bad day today, some drunk lady just pulled out in front of my car on the highway (half hour ago and my car is totaled). I got her license plate number, called the cops and she drove away... not the way I wanted to start out the year. Nobody hurt, fully insured, but... meh!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

GP, if it helps your mood: look at the bright side. YOU AREN'T HURT. I know several people who are dead due to drunks, and my father has brain damage thanks to a drunk. I know that's despressing information, but COME ON MAN, CHEER UP!

About XARA, I'm not trashing it. I said it's really slick, and it is. I'm just not sure how it would fit into my arsenal. I'm an old pen and paper drawer (I wanted to say "artist" but that would be a stretch). Vector doesn't mean much to me, except for electrical schematic drawings.

Post Vector can be great!

Vector might surprise you. Look at any and all of my work, even the hand-drawn stuff. Once I scan hand-drawn work everything is composited and finished in Xara. All my digital maps are created using Xara Xtreme. Sometimes I do some enhancements to bitmap in apps like GIMP or PS and sometimes I use 3D apps for some map objects, but everything else is created in Xara, exclusively.

Would you call what I create electrical schematics?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

hmm, do you know of any cartography tutorials using Xara? I have illustrator, but have never bothered to learn it. And after trying Xara, illustrator seems so clunky.

XaraXtreme seems to crash alot on Ubuntu.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12