Thread: Question about GIMP from PS user

Question Question about GIMP from PS user

I know I can sort of stretch the work area to fit inside, but the toolbars-hovering-over-the-work-area is the main thing that still bugs me about GIMP. I'd rather have them embed *inside* the main work area. After browsing around GIMPshop, I don't think that add-on does that. Are there any options for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Bedwyr View Post
    I know I can sort of stretch the work area to fit inside, but the toolbars-hovering-over-the-work-area is the main thing that still bugs me about GIMP. I'd rather have them embed *inside* the main work area. After browsing around GIMPshop, I don't think that add-on does that. Are there any options for me?

I believe GIMP# has that as a goal, but it was not even ready for beta last time I checked a few months ago.

To be honest, after a few weeks, this just passed and seemed normal to me. One thing, if you are going to be using the same tool for quite a while, you can just maximize the "picture" window. Then, you can press a key to bring the other windows back on top. I think it's F12, but can't look it up right this sec.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Do you have a link where I can track the feature's development?

Sorry, I think I spoke wrong. GIMP# seems to be about allowing scripting with various languages other than those that the GNU version offer out of the box.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

There is this one:
    http://portableapps.com/apps/graphic...kground_window

But I don't know if it works with non-portable version of Gimp.

Also, there was one of the name "deweirdifier" (you can google for it) but it seems not to have been updated recently.

My preference is to work in full screen mode (F11). A double tab brings up all the floating tool boxes, and going back to work on the image makes them all disappear again.

Once you get use to it, you find that having the full screen to work in is a nice feature.

-Rob A>

After browsing around I discovered GIMP wasn't displaying correctly because I was using the Compiz special effects. While fun, they appear to disable the utility window function of the toolboxes. So things are a little bit more tolerable now. Stille, the future is all about tabbed interfaces and I'm quite glad to see this:

In the mean time, during 2.7.x development cycle we will do our best to switch to tabbed user interface with docked palettes.
    I presume both sides will be satisfied with this since keyboard shortcuts could minimize the toolbox "drawer" on a maximized workspace using the same key combinations a veteran user would be used to.

I also notice that a number of people say GIMPshop is old news and isn't meant for 2.6. Too bad. I've got two key shortcut schemes in my brain and I'd prefer not to add a third. Remembering that ctrl-<down>, ctrl-e, and ctrl-h do the exact same thing between three programs is bad news..

Not sure if this will fix your problem or not, but there's a version of Gimp called GimpShop that is supposed to make the Gimp layout more like Photoshop.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review