Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January Entry: World of Graelor

Wip January Entry: World of Graelor

I decided to put my meager skills into the mix of fine maps for this months challenge.

I'm going to create a 36" x 24" "Old-School" Styled map for a world I'm calling Graelor (just because that is the name that came to mind )

I'm going to incorporate some of the techniques I used in my Kingdom map and some of the results from the poll I posted in the regional mapping area with my question regarding forest styles.

My first step was to create the continental land masses.

I selected a small area, used a Clouds filter and then sized it up to almost the full size of the map.

I then adjusted the brightness and the threshold to create the landmasses.

I used this as a base level to create a white filled batch of landmasses that I put a stroke and a very small inner glow on.

I used the offset with wrap to make the left and right sides actually wrap around. Didn't worry about the top and bottom, I don't want to show the entire polar regions of the world.

These images are all sized down to 3600 x 2400 at 300 dpi. The working image is actually 300 dpi and 36" x 24" (10,800 x 7,200)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continents.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	542.6 KB 
ID:	9449  
    \"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.\"
    - Charles Bukowski

Wip

Next I've put in the major mountain ranges and the deserts (yeah, I got both of these steps done yesterday, just haven't had a chance to post them yet)

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	MtnsIn.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	950.4 KB 
ID:	9450  
    Last edited by Malakor; 01-19-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: added latest WIP tag
    - Charles Bukowski

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yippee another entry!

Looking forward to seeing more of this.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Holy frejoles that's some serious amount of work putting those mountains in...kudos for the persistence
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Competition continues!

Very well.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Wip

During my lunch hour today I was able to get a coastal effect that worked for me (I tried for the woodcut effect but never could get it to look like what I wanted).

I then brushed in my forests. I've decided against showing tree trunks at this scale I Think. When I tried it, it kind of looked like an additional blur or shadow under the forest areas.

For regional maps, I'll probably use an effect similar to the B and/or C that I posted in my poll.

Now that I'm home for the evening, I'll be looking at names for the various locales.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Coastal-effects.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	9458  
    - Charles Bukowski

Lookin pretty good there, nice job so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

looking good.

1 critique though. It might just be me and me ancient eyes, but I am seeing the forests as standing higher than the mountains. Maybe do something about the shadow around them, or make the mountains larger.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Wip

Ah yes, these are the famous cloud forests of Graelor

Thanks for pointing that out Korash, I'll see if reducing the shadow a tad helps any.

I've named all the pertinent points, and sent all the impertinent points off to stand in a corner.

This map is now almost done, except for coming up with a suitable border and fine tuning a bit.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Labeled.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	967.8 KB 
ID:	9460  
    - Charles Bukowski

I know ya gotta shrink the image size down to upload but the forests just look like squiggly blobs to me and I thought they were lakes. Do they look better at full size? I'd like to see a screencap of a section at full size, if possible, or put the shadow back in and make the mountains taller. I'm liking the previous one better, altho that's just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast