Thread: Rahva's City Scribblings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Rahva's City Scribblings

Yup. For a while these will be mostly direct ripoffs of Grandwarf's awesome CC3 tutorials. When I got that down I might start adding some stuff of my own concoction.

First off, this is Matri, a small village from a story I am writing. It's insignificant both in the world and in the story, so I figured it was a safe place to start.
    It's pretty much a cow-farming town.
    My main gripe with this is that I used the grassy background instead of some sort of dusty one (which would fit the story... it's more dirt with patches of grass there, not grass with patches of dirt.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matri.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	460.6 KB 
ID:	9459  

Nice to see you started your own thread. I hope to see lots of cities here
    Although you are using the tutorial style, I can see you are trying out other stuff, so that's great.

- You can probably still fix the background by creating a new sheet just below the BACKGROUND sheet and then drawing a dust underground on that sheet. It will be drawn over the green background, but under all the other stuff, like the lake and buildings.
    - Best tip I can give you at the moment is exporting the map at very large dimensions and then greatly resizing it in some graphics software. It's too zoomed in right now and the quality suffers. CC3 can't do any anti-aliasing. I am not sure if you know how to export your map in larger dimensions, so:

1. Click "File"
    2. Click "Save as"
    3. Choose "Rectangular section JPEG"
    4. Don't save yet, but click "Options"
    5. You can now set the resolution in pixels. Set it to 2500x2500 for example.
    6. Click "Ok"
    7. Click "Save" (or probably "Opslaan" for you).

City Designer 3 will now render your map at 2500x2500 pixels. This can take a few minutes, be patient. Open the JPG in software like Adobe Photoshop, Paint Shop, The Gimp or whatever and resize it to something like 500x500 (keep the aspect ratio though, this is just an example). Maybe sharpen the map after that.

I think some of the roads are too small in this map. They look too wispy. I am talking about the top two ones and the bottom one.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 01-19-2009 at 07:36 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Map

Thanks for the tips - I was looking for something like the rendering thing.
    Here is the new version, which I finally managed to save after a zillion random crashes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matri.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	336.9 KB 
ID:	9476  

Looking a lot better Rahva!

The random crashes during saving are really irritating. Luckily there's a workaround by creating a PDF and then saving as JPG. This way I can save huge maps without crashing. See:
    http://forum.profantasy.com/comments...&page=1#Item_0
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like that Rahva, looks pretty nice and different...hope to see more.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Is there any way to break up the smooth rounded edges of the terrain textures?
    Good job Rahva, if it's this easy to pick up and use, I'll be forced to by it!

Good Job!

@Hoel, a Blur/Edge Fade Inner along with FRACTALIZING the polygons would eliminate what I think you are refering to.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

More CC3 stuff - cool! Nice work Rahva...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

So, where's your next town, Rahva?

It is lurking somewhere in the 1-2 hours I have to myself each day. The rest of my time is spent a) school/homework, b) helping highschoolers with their homework and/or teaching English, c) listening to city council meetings. Yay 2 jobs
    Regardless, in the weekend I will be working on something map-like I think. I paid enough for the software, I'm not just gonna sit here and not use it.
    Thanks for the interest btw

Also, the stupid program kept crashing when I wanted to do the rest of your tutorial. Every time I'd touch a symbol it would quit to desktop. That seems to be fixed now though. *fingers crossed*
    Last edited by Rahva; 02-04-2009 at 04:41 AM.