Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Irony in a commission job...

Good looking stuff!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Where's Herbie the Elf? He wanted to be a dentist, he probably could use a chair like this.

Nice work GP!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks, I'll have to snag this for my ongoing Island map.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

There is no irony in this at all. We want symbols, but symbols are not good unless they look right on a map. We need the map as a proof of concept. We don't care how the map is made. The skill set we are looking for is the ability to create good-looking PNGs which work on a map. This is independent of whether a person can use CC3 or not.

There is a big difference between originating an entire style of mapping and just using a pre-designed style to create a map in CC3. The former is complex in whatever software you use, the latter is quick to do in CC3. We don't need the map, other than to reproduce it in CC3 with the style. The skill set of making a complete CC3 style is another one altogether.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the complete symbol.
    ProFantasy Software Ltd

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As a CC3 user myself, I gotta say I thoroughly enjoy your business model.

I agree about the irony though, its not ironic that a symbol driven software developer would want an artist that doesn't work in symbols to make map symbols...Its best to get cohesive artwork from cohesive sources rather than just mish-mash it all together. The goal of any map-making software should be to give people who can't just paint a map from scratch 100% the ability to make a cohesive map utilizing a cohesive set of artwork assets.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123