Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irony in a commission job...

Post Irony in a commission job...

I didn't know where I should post this, but something funny happened to me today, at least I think so. Its pure irony in a commission job for Profantasy. While I am still building my Ukiyo-e map object set, they offered a commission on a separate, current project of theirs. Something that is not my aesthetic - Modern Setting map objects. I prefer the imaginative versus reality in object creation, but a job is still a job.

I'm currently creating objects you'd find in a typical modern office or commercial location - something for a crime investigation setting that Profantasy is working on.

I'm using Xara Xtreme to create most of the objects (some in 3D, though). They want me to create a sample map (paid) using the objects I create, but since I am not a CC3 mapper by any stretch of the imagination, they're allowing me to create it with whatever I'm comfortable at - Xara.

I think its pretty ironic that I'm creating a paid map for Profantasy, but I'm not using Profantasy software - too funny!

I won't be posting anything else, since it is a commission job, but to let you take a peak at the kind of stuff I'm making - here's a piece of the sample map. It should be low enough resolution, that the quality doesn't compromise it's value to the owner of the content - which is not me.

It looks more like something UKGPublishing would create!

GP

PS: I especially like the dumpster with garbage bags inside, the electrical meter by the back door, the telephone and the Walther PK peeking out from the drawer in the bosses desk...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample-map-piece.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	9488  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-21-2009 at 12:56 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

That is somewhat ironic and I have a pretty good idea I know what this is for. Simon's other company is Pelgrane press. They create roleplaying systems and associated material. One of their new systems/settings that is coming out real soon is called Mutant City Blues. It is a great setting and the system is really simple and fun to use. The system is called GUMSHOE and is specifically geared toward investigation type games. MCB has a nice twist though in that superpowers are real. The PCs are detectives with superpowers who use them to fight crime and solve cases. The level of superpowers is fairly low though. So the PCs are more like investigators that happen to have powers rather than powers in the shape of a character. I know this because I had the wonderful opportunity to playtest the game and run my local group through an adventure.

Anyway, regarding the objects everything looks really good except the dumpster and garbage bags. The inside of the dumpster is far too bright and clean, and the bags don't look like they have been tossed in. More like they have been carefully arranged.

I only point that out because in an investigation scenario (assuming my hunch is correct) something like what you have now on the map could mislead the players into asking a lot of red herring type questions. Yea, silly I know, but players can be strange beasts sometimes. LOL

I look forward to seeing the symbol set and final map when they publish it. Great stuff!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Wow, I would so LOVE to have a good CC3 set of Modern Symbols. I know when I was doing the SLAP'n'TICKLE map a few challenges ago, I would have loved some modern symbols.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I second RPMiller, it's too clean.
    But it looks nice, it's a good idea and I for one could use more modern elements...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well ironic or not congrats on more commissioned work GP!

I do agree with the others about the bags, though I'm sure you'll go back and have them looking appropriately 'garbagey' in no-time.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Appropriately "Garbagey" and some!

OK, I tweaked the garbage in the can - took a digital photo of my current garbage can and added it as a texture. Plus I threw in my telephone, my toilet with toilet paper, a filing cabinet and a photo-copier... enjoy!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample-objects.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	9498  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Kudos to Profantasy for letting you work for them with your favourite software. I'm sure they will be pleased by what you create.

If you're out there 'Profantasy' you get the 'fair minded' cookie.

Sigurd

That's really the beauty of CC3. The symbols are all simply PNGs so you can create them in whatever program you want.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post Done with my first symbol commission.

Just finished my first Profantasy symbol set and map commission about 2 hours ago and uploaded it. Now I can get back to my Ukiyo-e project.

Strange, though I'm not a Modern RPG map maker or game player, I found it easy to create map symbols, if a bit boring for me. Since yesterday, I've created 38 individual objects and a sample map that includes them all.

Actually though their final format is PNG, on commission work they prefer PSD format, so they can break a symbol down, change colors if they desire, before exporting it. Luckily, Xara exports PSD with few problems. Some of the transparency filters for Xara don't export to PSD at all, so I have to be careful what transparency effects I employ.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

That is probably for the vari-colored symbols. For those that don't know, vari-colored symbols allow you to pick a color from the color palette and it changes the appropriate colored areas in the symbol. Pretty cool when you think about it because it potentially gives you 255 differently colored symbols for the price of one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast