Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempt at the ICE Challenge - Inspiration needed!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Great!

Right, I think I am settling on a design now. The temple is inside an ice waterfall. The ice waterfall is the artifact of an ancient battle, and was created by the god or some powerful priest of the god to trap a dragon. The dragon remains frozen in the ice, and only regular sacrifices keep it there and stop the ice from melting. The caretakers of the temple are frozen in ice when they are at the peak of their powers, so that if the dragon were ever to escape, they would be there to fight it.

Main areas:
    1. The dragon hall - dragon beneath the ice with the frozen caretakers around it.
    2. entrance flanked by statues
    3. the high window - an ouside ledge with an altar surrounded by frozen bloodstains with a vertiginous drop.
    4. the icy stiarcase - a series of bridges between the hanging icicles that reaches from the mountainside to the temple.

Further ideas always welcome! I'll see if I can get some sketches up between bits of work today.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Also, how would a god of the bitter cold wish to be worshipped? A simple altar seems a bit bland and benign for such a being.
    I don't know the world / pantheon you have to base your ideas on, but there are plenty of ways a deity could end up representing cold / ice. For the rest of the ideas I assume we have complette freedom. Some of them are feared by people who don't like Ice... But as soon as you see creatures that favor cold and ice, you can see a different kind of deity.

Imagine a group of elves, who somehow lived on a plane of ice, and soon they had their own mythos, that could have a benign and good ice god. If they would find a permanent portal to a treacherous glacier in the material plane, how their temple would look like?

Lets go to something more specific. If they became natives to planes of ice, once this god/godess saved them in a war when their lands were scorched, and with the dinive help they adapted to the icy conditions.

So the locals now see them as strange icy elves, mostly warriors, who don't speak their language, and some conflicts with locals are possible (when locals started it). Yet the elves helped other locals.

How would these elves know their protector deity?
    What would the locals think?

Ohh, sorry, I spent too much time trying to figure something out about the message I typed last and haven't seen the latest post by torsan. But the point is: how a deity is worshiped, and how you see it can be different, and many ice gods aren't evil.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

When I read about an ice temple the first image that came to mind was a raised dais of ice covered with a fine mist (thinking dried ice fog). Centered on this dais there sits a block of ice about 7 feet long and 4 feet wide. The top of this block is a shallow trench of about man size and the surface of the ice block has a very slight red tint.

That is what I first saw in my minds eye.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Don't they build an Ice Hotel in Quebec every year?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That'll actually be handy for some colour references, though I think my ice temple will avoid having an ice bar!

Thanks for all the ideas - the normal every day work got in the way of tackling this over the last couple of days but I'm going to sneak in a little drawing over the weekend.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

@ RobA - Actually the Ice Hotel in Quebec is actually some where north of that city I believe.

@ SG - That is an Ice Castle that Quebec City makes every year on the Plains of Abraham for it's winter carnival.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Well as the deadline approaches, here's the current line art. Not far off finished this section. I need to finish the dragon's wing, put in two ice guardian statues at the bottom and put in buried elders of the temple. Then it's on to the colour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IceTemple2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	9683

Praise I've been hoping for an announcement!

Great start, I hope you finish in time. I've been checking I.C.E.'s contest page everyday, hoping to see your entry posted!

Remember, you have to download their contest agreement, sign and date it, scan it, and send back as a PDF along with your map file or link to map file - to completely qualify. Since time is getting close, I didn't want you to miss their specific rules on that.

I don't care if this beats my map, as long as Guild members earn all the awards! (Despite being the only entrants...)

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast