Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Clocktower - WIP

Post The Clocktower - WIP

Hey everyone,

This post is just a starter to toss out some of my ideas and begin brain storming on a map I'm going to be working on soon: A clocktower. This map in particular will be the end of a year + campaign, so I'm looking to make it pretty epic. Here is the idea so far:

The clocktower is a massive 10 floor, 150+ft structure of clockwork engineering (think the palace of westminster), bent to the deranged plans of the Clockmaster (working name). When the players adventure inside to stop the Clockmaster from completing the machine, they discover the building operational but half constructed ( think deathstar two). Inside the clocktower is a whirling death machine, or exploding steam pipes, massive crushing cogs and spring-loaded mechanics.

Any thoughts on conveying some of these ideas? I'm looking for ideas on what makes a clocktower an interesting place to adventure, and what can be dangerous about it (shifting floors, swinging pendulums, etc). Finally any ideas for artistic direction whould be great appreciated too (including textures, examples, etc). Thanks!
    Last edited by Redstar; 11-03-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Here are a few of the floors. Comments? Suggestions? What works what doesn't?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clocksewers_ground.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	7775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clocksewers_5.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	7776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clocksewers_6.jpg 
Views:	931 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	7777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clocksewers_7.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	7778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clocksewers_stairs_high.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	7779  

Have a look for a book called 'The Affinity Bridge' if you like steam-punk, it'll gve you a lot of ideas. I really like the cogs and the dark feel of the maps. More piping / ducting perhaps and brass guages to give it that steam punky goodness!

Blog Entries

In the last few weeks I took a tour up an old Abbey tower where you could sit behind the clock face and go into the belfry. If any pics of these would be interesting then I can post. They are not top down of course but might provide some extra flavor. Clanging bells going off at random might have some dangerous consequences.

The thing that always bothers me about steam punk, and I guess is the whole point of it, is that all the cogs never seem to have any function. I always thought that the idea is to use antiquated tech to do a modern job. All the steam punk I ever see is overly complex brass cogs stuck on things. It should be easier in art to do something better than the models of stuff that boing boing keeps showing.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-14-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    In the last few weeks I took a tour up an old Abbey tower where you could sit behind the clock face and go into the belfry. If any pics of these would be interesting then I can post.
    Yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    The thing that always bothers me about steam punk, and I guess is the whole point of it, is that all the cogs never seem to have any function. I always thought that the idea is to use antiquated tech to do a modern job. All the steam punk I ever see is overly complex brass cogs stuck on things. It should be easier in art to do something better than the models of stuff that boing boing keeps showing.
    Hahah, brilliant! I enjoy the overly complex, brass cog ascetic.

@ravells - Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

Blog Entries

Some more... got a few more bells and the carillon but thats pretty much flushed me out of steam punk.

Blog Entries

Tell a lie, I had a 3D scene of gears too.

Oh yeah, and dont forget http://www.cgtextures.com/ too. Manmade -> meters, Metals -> brass and Manmade -> heavy machines all look like a treasure trove to me.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-14-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very neat stuff RedStar...

Feel the power of my Cudgel of Repping! *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Updated (1 of 2)

*Rubs head* Thanks!

Redrobes: the picture with the silhouettes in front of the clock face inspired the last one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock_1.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	7814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock_2_stairs.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	7815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock_3.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	7816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock_4.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	7817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock_6.jpg 
Views:	1259 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	7818  

Last edited by Redstar; 11-14-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast