Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swamp village

Wip Swamp village

Hello, this is not a town map just yet, but i am working on it. It is the basic layout for a little village in the swamps. This will be my first big project.

I am making this as the hometown of my Eberron d&d character. He is an Orc living in a swamp tribe with other Orcs, Half-Orcs and Humans. Orcs are not as evil in Eberron as in most other d&d games.

Anyway, about the town. It will be a small town with about 50 villagers. The houses will be on the swamp islands and wooden platforms which are connected to the island by little bridges. There will be three watch-towers. Special houses for the Chieftan, Shaman, Smithy, Fisherman and Farmer.

The wooden platforms are the town squares with firepit's and market stands. Most trade is done by boat, like those thailand floating markets.

This is what i have so far. Any tips?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bearclaw.jpg 
Views:	1540 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	9511  

Looks interesting. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

In your shoes, I'd try and determine where the waterline is and how big the scale will be. The waterline will tell you settlement patterns and density. The scale will tell you numbers and types of items you'll be drawing\creating.

Sigurd

Good luck.

Blog Entries

Your welcome to download my swamp tiles and steal bits of them to make some marshy areas if you like.

Looks interesting anyway.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Definitely some interesting textures there, will keep an eye on your progress.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I wonder where this might be going

I was able to do some work on the map today. I added the platforms (town squares) and the bridges.

Next time i will add the basic shapes for the houses. The people live in simple round tipi shaped houses with enough room for 4 familly members. The houses are small and simple because most of their daily life takes place outside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bearclaw2.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	9522  

I like the concept, but right now everything is quite dark and hard to see.

You may want some variation in the shape of your lily pads. Right now, they're all evoking Pac-Man.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I agree with landorl, it's way too dark
    and the layout of the islands make it look like the whole map is bulging up for some reason

I like the map and the idea behind it. I'll be watching to see what it looks like when you are finished. It could be because the map is really dark, but it is difficult to get a feel for the scale of the map. Also the water looks gray, almost granite-like in texture. Perhaps a little more blue-green in the water would make it look less like rocks. Just my two cents.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast