Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Unseen Fortress

Map The Unseen Fortress

A map that I consider finished at this point, though I'm open for any feedback that could improve it.

Its a map illustrating a location submission on another site that deals with RPG ideas. Google my handle if you want to find it, or drop me a PM. I'm not quite sure what the rules are on that front.

It is an island fortress, the idea being that the land itself provides much of the defense. The forests are filled with dangerous trees, garden areas with bizarre and deadly vegetation, and the other areas no better.

Its based on RobA's most excellent "Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map" tutorial, though with some adjustments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unseen Fortres.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	9563  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not too shabby although I'd add a bit of yellow or brown into the mix for the forest (looks a lil bright IMO). Nice job, though, other than that.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

The thumbnail looks stupendous but when you open it up its a little blurry. It makes me feel as though if you could make the map at double or quad res and then shrink then you would have an excellent way of doing that at full size. I am wondering if its just that the bumpiness or grain size of the textures are a bit large and that its just down to shrinking the texture size for a more grainy look rather than bumpy look. Anyhow its a great map and the technique is coming along real well. Repped.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Overall I think its quite good.

However, I agree with Redrobes. When I opened it up it seemed very blurry to me. Now maybe that was intentional. I also thin i'd reduce to opacity of the grid just a bit. It takes away from the rest of the image IMO.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

This place seems very strange

Name:	Sem.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	334.9 KB 
ID:	9577  
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Admin - can you move this to Work in progress? I am going to revise it a bit.

Wip Take 2 -

Okay, moved back in time a bit on this one - pre legend, etc, to address the blur issue and a couple other comments.

One technique I have found to have interesting effects (in GIMP) is to use the noise->hurl filter, with 100% randomness. This seems to produce a very random texture that I like. The forest was produced in this manner.

Thoughts?

Name:	Unseen Fortressold school2b_less_blur.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	9883  

Has this addressed the blur situation? I've looked at this one enough I'm afraid I can't see it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast