Thread: Atlas Style Mapping

Map Atlas Style Mapping

Yesterday after work, I got to thinking about how I might could do the Graelor map as an "atlas-style" map, so I started reading through some of the tutorials on the forum (mostly Ascension's Tutorial on making a continent in PS) and started piddling with a tests.

This map isn't actually a part of the Graelor Map, although I'm treating as if it were for purposes of this test, just to keep the focus I need.

Anywho. The first map is the unadorned/unlabeled 'finished' map that I came up with.

The second one is from the page I made in adobe illustrator this morning, where I labeled it and put in the fluff.

C&C welcome. . . I really want to know if I managed to accomplish what I'm looking for from other people's points of view, which is, this is supposed to look like a page from an atlas.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Area-Map012309-001_final.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	392.1 KB 
ID:	9572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlas-Map-Test_page.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	371.7 KB 
ID:	9573  
    \"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.\"
    - Charles Bukowski

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The illustrator version looks cool, the framing and everything works good together.

I think the strokes on the rivers are a bit 'stark' (not really the word I was looking for), any way to blend them in a little better or maybe just change the color from what looks like black to something the more closely matches the terrain around it? Just a thought...

Edit: Agree with Ascension about the coasts/rivers looking pixellated.
    Last edited by Steel General; 01-24-2009 at 03:31 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I really like your colors, very painterly as well. I think the rivers and coasts are pixellated, like it was blown up in size, but otherwise it has a real nice look. Keep working this, you may have found something. And fear not, I'm nearly done with my atlas style tutorial
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

cool!

I like the lakes, but it is weird they all are connected to the sea.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Thanks for the comments.

I did use an almost black for the coastal stroke, and I agree, it's a bit too dark, I'll prolly change that when I do my next map, and yeah, this was just a test size to see if it would work at all, so the resolution and size aren't the best, which accounts for the pixalation.
    \"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.\"
    - Charles Bukowski