Thread: Crystal Ball World

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip Crystal Ball World

SG had mentioned an effect which he perceived in one of IG's maps (a cloudy window on Merrymeet) so that gave me an idea to try out a crystal ball effect. I was initially thinking of doing something like a tilt/shift or lens blur but I just went with an easy radial blur (set to zoom) around the edges. I then spent a few hours trying to do a crystal ball. I even used a JFJ mask (yay me) for some color tweaks (a b/w fade in to accompany the blur). Anyways, just something I wanted to experiment with and certainly needs some work but someone could use the idea and take it further...i.e. make it better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cbworld.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	9613  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Very cool. Maybe you can make the land a bit more 'fish eyed' so that it in the inside of the ball like a globe?

I like this effect very much.

I wasn't too happy about my blur so I went ahead and did it with lens blur and then added a spherize to give it some bulge.

Views:	75 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	9615  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Guild Journeyer

Right now at first glance its not clear the lakes are not part of the globe effect, I would suggest making them darker for this map

Blog Entries

Well I approve heh heh

/_______________
    \

(I have bigger version if people are interested.)
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-25-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Well done! I was going to do something similar in a challenge awhile back, but ended up having my free time snatched away sort of like how it is now. Anyway, if you are interested here is what I was initially looking to do: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=772
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Thanks RR; and pretty cool RP...I'm one of those guys who has read every single tut on making those darn shiny balls but I've never gotten anything that I like so I probably overdo mine. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on this cuz I wanted to crush my foes in some Civ today but it's now 4 pm and I made some fixes on the lakes. I hope this is the last as it was just intended to be a little playing around in the sandbox thingie. I might put some kind of face reflection or something on it but not right now.

Views:	84 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	9618  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like both ideas (Ascensions & RP's) - very cool.

@Ascension - I had posted a response to this (or I thought I had) where I mentioned that the lakes look pixelated - but you've already fixed that so I all I can say is... great job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Looks much better now, well done

A very imprecive picture!
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif