Thread: Silver Marches WIP for a FR Campaign

Wip Silver Marches WIP for a FR Campaign

So here is my first map attempt using a few skills that I learned here. It is a WIP, but what do you all think at this point? Let me have it! ; )

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very pretty.

I'd lower the opacity of your road and rivers as they are a little obvious as straightforward brush strokes at the moment and jar against the nice detailed texture of the other elements at the moment. Also, there seems to be a strange bump mapping artefact at the top of the map?

Like it a lot. Good work.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is a really nice start.

I agree with torstan about the roads - though if it were me I would narrow them, put some kind of texture on them and then a bit of a blur - but that's just the way I like to do things.

It almost looks as if there is some sort of bevel or something along the top edge - hard to tell at this size though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It looks like an artifact from a bevel/emboss layer style (inner bevel)...happens to me all the time. Take the move tool and move the layer partially off of the canvas so that the artifact does not show...or what I most often do is put a frame around the image to hide it. Looks pretty darn cool but I'd like to see it a bit bigger.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

@ Torstan and Steel General

Yep, the road is just brushed on at the moment. I wanted to see how it looked semi finished. I will have to texture it in. I agree, the river pops out too much. I will try the opacity and see how it looks. : )

@ Ascension Thank you for the Bevel suggestion because that is exactly what is happening there. I was thinking of smudging it off the canvas, but I would rather do it your way. Less smudgy! lol

What could I do to make this look less like a clay model? Is it just me or does this look like a fake High School Dinosaur Diorama project somewhat? lol

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd leave it exactly as is (after finishing the roads and rivers) as it has a painterly look combined with what you call a diorama look. I don't know of anyone else who does their maps like this and ends up with such a cool look. I think it looks very nice but can't quite find the words to accurately describe it. Do some more like this, cuz I like em
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm very impressed with this map. I like the Font you chose for the text.

My only criticism would be that it is a bit dark but that depends on what usage you want. Is it for gaming or just arts sake.

Anyway...very good map

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Very nice! I'm looking forward to seeing how adjusting the roads and rivers changes things. I think the white icons are a little too stark. I think they'd look nice if you changed them to some other color that already exists in your map, like a deep green sampled from the forests.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name