Thread: Ghyshara

Guild Journeyer

Post Ghyshara

Working on a map for which to base a DnD campaign on, and before I start placing features wanted to run a sense check by you guys, at this stage to see if my terrain types make sense where I have them.

Basic overarching plot is long slaved / subjected kobold race discover / recruit a pair of dragon and surge up the strip of land and start overpowering the human lands. Going to have the PCs basically deicde on where to run (4 obvious places being desert, dwarf caves, elven forest, halfling islands)

So anybody have any thoughts on the landmass and terrain types as currently shown? Questions are welcome too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	9612  
    Last edited by Jkaen; 01-25-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Changed text colour

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm wondering if a strong west wind blowing in from the ocean would probably leave your desert with more water so I'd swap this area out for the hills and mining human monarchy. Of course, it's not that big of a deal really So far so good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

I was worried about the same thing, but fancied a sandstorm really hostile area. How about if I put a ridge of mountains just along the west edge of the land, would that break the moisture without acting as a wind break?

Alternately, does it make sense for the winds to come from elsewhere?

I think the only direction the wind could come from (if you leave t he desert where it is) is the west. Since everything is more or less on the same longitude/latitude (whichever of those means the vertical axis), if the wind came from the east everything should be desert.
    I'd definitely add more mountains on the very west shore - clouds break up, making the western side very wet and the other side dry. This is also why it usually only snows on one side of a mountain

As for the rest, I've never liked the idea of "ALL DWARVES SHALL LIVE HERE. HERE BE THE ELVES." so I don't really have a comment on that. Though I think the humans would probably have tried to invade the kobold lands, and without some pretty unkoboldy defenses on the little 'bridge' of land it would be hard to keep them out.

However, I love the idea of jungle halflings Awesome pigmies.

Guild Journeyer

The idea with all other races live here is that they are very much the minority, the whole continent being easily 90%+ human.

As for the kobold land, the idea I was trying to give is that their land is useless to the humans, just swamp / marshland, hence it makes better sense to just raid there every now and then for slaves.

I will add the mountain ridge on the sid eof the desert though.