Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free tokens and maps!

It really is worth registering, especially if you use Virtual Tabletop software. There is a fairly large VTT community on the FUM boards. I can also say that Devin's tokens are definitely worth another community board registration (hell, they were worth the money but if he wants to hand them out for free I don't want to discourage him).

If you've not yet tried out running pen-and-paper roleplaying games online, there's FUMCon coming up in April. This is an online convention that's been run the last few years to promote Virtual Tabletops and Roleplay Gaming online. There should (hopefully) be a number of demos and games to attend.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Well, I'm registered, Valarian, but at some point I gotta choose - do I game or browse boards? Cos there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want.

I'm afraid I'll have to choose gaming. I haven't got into VTT and I'd have to give up something else if I start. At present I'm just using the software to seamlessly map MTU.

Thanks for the heads up though.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

No need to give up gaming if you use a VTT icosahedron. You can actually use most VTT software in face to face games in place of miniatures and crystal maps. Heck you can even use your miniatures still if you have a way to project the map onto a table top. There are even suggestions for creating simple white 3D models of your map and projecting your map down onto it to enhance the experience even further.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    No need to give up gaming if you use a VTT icosahedron. You can actually use most VTT software in face to face games in place of miniatures and crystal maps.
    Errr... do you know someone that actually maps in crystal? I would think that would be reserved for alien races....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Errr... do you know someone that actually maps in crystal? I would think that would be reserved for alien races....
    I thought you were my age? Crystal maps is what the old acrylic sheets were first called when they came out. They were "crystal clear" and had a grid embedded in them to draw over. So you could put any old drawing/map down, lay the sheet over it and break out the markers. Ah, the memories...
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I thought you were my age? Crystal maps is what the old acrylic sheets were first called when they came out. They were "crystal clear" and had a grid embedded in them to draw over. So you could put any old drawing/map down, lay the sheet over it and break out the markers. Ah, the memories...
    Dennis: I'm thirty-seven. I'm not old!
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Did I say old? Nope, I said my age. So what are you insinuating?!

Did I say old? Nope, I said my age. So what are you insinuating?!

Well... stupid forum software has limits on posting length, so I had to put in the "I'm not old" to get it to post....besides... I figured the quote might be more recognizable with that in there anyway.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

No need to give up gaming if you use a VTT icosahedron. You can actually use most VTT software in face to face games in place of miniatures and crystal maps. Heck you can even use your miniatures still if you have a way to project the map onto a table top. There are even suggestions for creating simple white 3D models of your map and projecting your map down onto it to enhance the experience even further.
    My current games are PBEM with players in various time zones. We can't get together at any one time. I believe VTT is predominantly real-time, not sure whether it can be played with only one person at a time logged in, so it would probably mean an additional game.

Either way, it would take some time to learn the system and that time would have to come from somewhere. My recently resurrected interest in mapping has already exceeded my time budget.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

There are a number of people using VTT for PBEM/PBP games. No, you wouldn't use the macros and chat and whatnot in that setting, but you could if you left the server up and running all the time. Predominately those that use VTT in PBEM/PBP simply use the mapping/token/vision blocking/fog of war abilities to generate static maps. If that is all you were using it for, there isn't really anything to learn (assuming you are using one of the better VTTs).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast