Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A warm hello, along with a WIP

Guild Applicant

Post A warm hello, along with a WIP

Hi all, I've been reading posts and looking at maps here for a bit now and just wanted to introduce myself and post a map that I'm currently working on. Most of my mapmaking is for gaming purposes (currently DnD 4E), but I've always made maps for the various worlds my mind likes to play in, regardless of whether or not they're actually used for anything.

The map that I'm posting is going to be for the game I'm DMing. I like to do most of the work by hand and I really love the look of old atlases, so I'm going for something with that sort of feel here. After a little more work on it I'm sure I'll be posting it in the wip section.

I look forward to learning much more about mapmaking!

Edit: So I changed some of the rivers to (hopefully) make them a bit more in line with how rivers actually function heh. Also made the water blue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Web-Modified-(Eastern-Borderlands,-WIP).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	851.5 KB 
ID:	9646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Web-Modified-(Eastern-Borderlands,-WIP-2).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	862.3 KB 
ID:	9647  
    Last edited by jilocasin; 01-26-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi and welcome. Thats a neat map there those mountains are really good and done with such simple lines too. Thats a good trick to know. Your rivers are a bit out tho and you might have to take a caution from the river police over them but all in all thats great. I have learned something from your first post already.

Hello and welcome.
    Do you map digitally at all?
    It's a good map, lots going on.
    I'm sure you'll get a visit from the river police...

Guild Applicant

Sometimes I do things from start to finish in Photoshop, but I haven't used CC3 or anything like that. Thanks for the warnings about the river police
    I'm sure I'll end up removing/changing some around later on.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Since this is your first post I'll let ya off with a warning. Just remember the number one river law...rivers join as they move downstream, not fork (except for creating small river islands which, by definition, means that they rejoin again). There are other laws, well general rules of thumb really, and they are covered in their own thread...just do a search of the forum. You should throw some blue into the sea as I was mostly confused as to what was land and what was water at first. Very cool mountain technique though. You'll whipping up masterpieces in no time so overall I say good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm not an officer of the police, but almost ALL rivers converge together, not split apart. Except for a few rare instances (like the Nile River Delta in real life), you would never see a never split apart. It is a common mistake made by new mappers, but don;t worry about the police showing up with their truncheons.

You river problems can be easily fixed tho by simply 'killing' off some of those forkings.

Also, lakes almost inavariably have only a single drain point, while having numerous ingresses into the lake.

Otherwise, it is a nice map, and I am 'WOW'ed by it's simplicity. Good Work
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Praise

yup, gotta love them there mou'ins

been trying to get a simular look on mine, but so far no joy. will have to give yours a try.

Repped and praised
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off...Welcome Aboard!

Since officer Ascension has already given you a warning regarding your rivers (and you've made an effort to correct them) I'll say no more on that subject.

Great start, looking forward to seeing this progress, and remember post early, post often and never be afraid to ask a question.

Map On!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Question

just had a quick question for you, out of curiosity...What scale is this?
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    just had a quick question for you, out of curiosity...What scale is this?
    About 800km left to right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast