• gorkamorka - Mediterranean Sailing Map

1 1.89%
  • Greason Wolfe - Haevenstadt Harbor

1 1.89%
  • Hoel - Carlsborg 1890

34 64.15%
  • industrygothica - Reimagining the Strand

4 7.55%
  • Korrigan - Lorac, the World of Marble (Note that this entry was started in November)

4 7.55%
  • languard - Ayvrst

3 5.66%
  • Malakor - World of Graelor

12 22.64%
  • MarkusTay - Mysterious Island

1 1.89%
  • Midgardsormr - Galerius Hallow

1 1.89%
  • mmmmmpig - The Trek from Home

0 0%
  • monks - Middle Earth

10 18.87%
  • Nomadic - Anchors Away

15 28.30%
  • Rahva - Hermeiis

4 7.55%
  • Sagenlicht - The City of Tarhun

2 3.77%
  • Steel General - Ythrak Lakdanaan (Domain of the Exalted)

18 33.96%
  • ukgpublishing - Dead and Still Standing

11 20.75%
  • Valarian - Gwaelydd Peninsular

5 9.43%
  • Ydars - City of the Old Ones

1 1.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: *** January Challenge - Create a Map for Print! ***

Hoel, Nomadic, Bohunk and Valarian.

Why did I vote like this?
    Well, Hoel and Bohunk need no further explanation I think, as they seem to be the favorites at the moment.

Both Nomadic's and Valarian's map have a simple, yet very effective and elegant style. Maps that would look great in any fantasy game or whatever. That's why I picked them.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Hi all

Thanks for everyone who like my entry. In my case I voted for (in no particular order).

Malakor - I really liked the simplicity of this map, the monochrome style just made it stand out to me.
    Steel General - Epic level gaming look out, I would love to get a party of epic characters to stop around this vision of the heavens.
    Ascension - Of all the entries this one struck me as the most 'technically' perfect, and as a campaign map would put most of those put out in commercial setting to shame.
    And finally, Bohunk - I was actually at work today (I work at the school of Geography at Nottingham University) and saw a map on the head of schools wall. This particular map was of an English Town (I forget which) from 1757 and I honestly believe that if you hung Bohunks map on the same wall you would have difficulty telling which one was the antique.

On the whole, well done to everyone. It has been an interesting experience for me an good luck to you all.

John

So I have to ask. Did everyone find it easier to vote with the names sorted or with the entry names sorted (in the November challenge)?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Sorted by name is great - I definitely look for the map by looking for the mapper, rather than the other way around.

Good entries this week, and Bohunk's map is just lovely as a piece of art as well as a great map. Hoel's was an education and an excellent execution from such a new arrival. The rest have some lovely features, but these two stand out as worthy front runners.

Well done to all those who entered, and especially well done to those who produced a competed map - it's a major accomplishment with the criteria for this months challenge.

A wee bit tough this time cause I liked them all, but when I got right down to it, Bohunk, Hoel, SG and Nomadic got my votes, each for their own merits. Just wish I hadn't gotten side-tracked on my entry.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    So I have to ask. Did everyone find it easier to vote with the names sorted or with the entry names sorted (in the November challenge)?
    At least for me its way easier if its sorted by names Would love to see it sorted always that way.

Ok my votes did go to:

• Bohunk - Nice map, dunno what to add
    • Hoel - Again a nice map, I especially like the trees, I wonder if I could do this in GIMP as well?
    • SteelGeneral - Hmm I think thats the 3rd time in a row I voted for SG... I guess I really like the way he is doing his maps Guess its time for a fanboi shirt SG
    • bryguy - I found the version with the notes even better, still I like the idea behind it. I think the map inside the book could have been a bit bigger but the entry got some nice flavor

As usual great entries, wasnt easy to pick out only 4 votes. languard, Ascension and Malakor were close runner ups. I liked Ravha's map as well, sadly it aint finished.
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Great job to everyone who entered, this was fun, and as my first time in this contest I must say I very much enjoyed it (and can't wait for next month). Anyhow, on to my votes.

Ascension:
    Pros - The map is wonderfully done, the borders make nations stand out well and the labels look very elegant.
    Cons - The ocean bugs me since it looks like the land is actually lower than the open ocean. I might suggest that you remove the ocean height map to make it more like an atlas.

Bohunk:
    Pros - Everything about this screams classic, it is just a straight up beautiful map. This old style is something that would look awesome on any gaming table (or wall).
    Cons - The only thing that I don't like is that the countries continue outside the border which looks kind of weird. I might suggest expanding the border out towards the edge more if you want to keep those locations and just clipping them at the end.

Hoel:
    Pros - Where can I begin? This map is so professionally done. The high quality, the realistic look, and the fact that it is of an actual landmark (which still amazes me).
    Cons - There are none I can find, this is something worthy of being sold in a shop.

Steel General:
    Pros - The realistic terrain is something I love and I can obviously see you put loving care into each and every label. The map is large and well varied (a treat to my eyes as I wander from place to place looking at all the different things).
    Cons - Your grass texture is very blurry. I might suggest a higher resolution, or possibly adding a small touch of monochromatic noise.

Okies. SG, Hoel, Monk & Val.

Nice job done by all, even some that were not completed. I hope you guys finish!

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I strongly encourage everyone who entered that doesn't win to definitely continue to work on your entry and then send it off to GamerPrinter's shop to have it printed anyways! He's been a great contributer to the site in more ways than one!

Thank you GP and thank you to everyone who entered!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I strongly encourage everyone who entered that doesn't win to definitely continue to work on your entry and then send it off to GamerPrinter's shop to have it printed anyways! He's been a great contributer to the site in more ways than one!

Thank you GP and thank you to everyone who entered!
    This is something I would love to do. I cannot afford to though. Indeed though I would like to give my thanks to GP for being willing to host such an awesome contest (with a very awesome prize).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast