Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of my maps...

Guild Novice

Post One of my maps...

I found this site while searching around for suggestions for Fonts to use for maps. I thought I'd share one of my maps, this map is for the kingdom of Valentia in my D&D campaign. It was created in Photoshop.

http://www.studiohybrid.org/images/valentiamap.jpg

Most of my maps are works in progress, I'm adding details as my campaign moves into new areas.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice texturing! What kind of Tools in Photoshop did you use to make it? I mean I see the layer FX and stuff like that of course, but for drawing and whatnot, did you use custom brushes or something?

Looks pretty good!

Edit: Wlcome to the site btw! Tell all yer friends!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Nice map. I like that style.
    I only would do the drop shadows for the labels a bit smaller, but that's a personal opinion.

Really good work
    Come to where the kobolds are...
    www.dnd-gate.de - The German D&D Community

Guild Novice

Thanks!

That map is a small section of a larger world map.

I started with a continent outline I did freehand, using several different fantasy world maps as inspiration. I scanned the outline then opened that in Photoshop. I traced the continent outline with the Photoshop path tool, I wanted to be able to try different effects for the coast without having to redraw it by hand each time. The paths would also scale properly when I zoomed into a particular area.

The main texture effect is just a parchment texture I downloaded off the 'net, set to about a 75% opacity. The water effect is a layer, this time at 50% opacity, so you can see the parchment texture beneath it. The mountains are shaded using a darker brown at 50% opacity to again allow the parchment texture to show through.

The forests are another Photoshop layer effect, this time applying one of the default Photoshop textures to a layer through the Blending Options.

River, roads and other details were also done with Paths before tracing them with a given color.

Overall I like it as well. I think the only thing that makes me ask "Why?" is the drop shadow on the roads. I think the drop shadow on the woods would give a better effect, but not too much as you don't what 'dirty clouds'.

Like I said, very nice overall. Do you have any sections with other features like snow caps and the like? I would be interested in seeing those.

Guild Novice

In truth the shadows from the roads were just for the fun of it, I'm not sure if I'll keep that effect or not.

I don't really have anything showing other terrain features, although this is map I made of Valentia's capitol, Sloringard.

http://www.studiohybrid.org/images/Sloringardmap.jpg

I didn't so much want to detail which building was where, but more give the players the impression of a large city that started with a set layout but developed somewhat chaotically over time.

You definitely achieved that result! I like the little warrens area where the streets are close together contrasted with what I assume are the 'nicer' parts of town. Well done!

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now that I like...the city map is VERY well done...I am curious though...given my knowledge of Photoshop...did you use the line tool or some other drawing method for the straight lines. I ask because I know that the line tool and the circle tool and etc all create separat elayers for each thing drawn...wouldn't that get a bit unweildy? How did you do that specifically? For all I know you could have used a simple layer mask over the grey to "carve out" the streets by masking the dark grey. I'm very interested in your technique for managing photoshop assets and layers. So interested in fact that if yer not protective of it, I'd like to see your PSD file.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I would like to second that and say ditto. :wink:

Guild Novice

I'd be happy to share the PSD file, but it is a rather large file and I don't have a good way to make it available.

I used the select tool to "carve" out streets from the large blocks. I also used it to fill in streets I wasn't happy with.

Oh, I tried adding a drop shadow for the forest on a new map I'm working on and it really works well. I'm going to update my other maps with that same effect. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast