Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

damn nice tut... makes me wish I had PS

Say, I wonder if I could do something similar in corel... worth a try.

If you can make something similar, be sure to post a tutorial
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I posted a .PDF version of the latest .doc file in the very first post.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Lost a bit on Step 21 as well. Here is a screen shot. I am fairly sure I deleted something when not understanding the instructtions

Tyr: Double click on the gradient bar and it will bring up the editor and allow you to do the instructions in the step

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those layer styles go on the Land layer. First off, ctrl+click on the Base layer to load the selection. Right click on the Base layer, on the layer stack, and choose "clear layer style". Poke out the eye on the Base layer to hide it. Click on the Land layer. Select - Inverse. Hit the delete key and then deselect. Then apply the layer styles to the Land layer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Those layer styles go on the Land layer. First off, ctrl+click on the Base layer to load the selection. Right click on the Base layer, on the layer stack, and choose "clear layer style". Poke out the eye on the Base layer to hide it. Click on the Land layer. Select - Inverse. Hit the delete key and then deselect. Then apply the layer styles to the Land layer.
    I had a feeling that was the answer but given I am not an expert with PS by any means I have tried to follow the instructions as written the first time around, making notes as I go for things to improve upon the next run.

Thanks for the reply (off to step 21 again)

Okay, time to find out if I screwed up even before this point.

The "Base" Layer, should this be just a sheet of white which covers the land mass areas?

I ask this because of Step 23
    As I read it, it seems the idea is to effect only the ocean areas of the mountain layer, correct? Or the entire layer?

Then it switches the base layer and that is when I got lost and wondered if my base layer is incorrect.

Side note: When doing these tutorials perhaps showing the entire photoshop screen shot and not just the image would be very helpful perhaps. Just a suggestion. Seeing the layer pal might answer a few questions and such. However as long as you are willing to answer questions I am not giving up
    Last edited by Vascant; 08-10-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Step 23 has two parts; delete the blacks and dark grays, then delete the rest of the layer that is floating over the ocean. This leaves the lighter grays that are on top of the land.

You're omitting something while reading so I'll recap it for you and be as descriptive as possible.

1. You're on the Mountains layer. Foreground color is black and background color is white.
    2. At the top of the screen click on the word "Select" then, in the scroll down menu, choose Color Range. This will bring up a pop up window with the foreground color selected as default. Set the Fuzziness slider at maximum, 200. This selects the blacks and dark grays.
    3. On the keyboard hit the Delete key.
    4. On the keyboard hit Ctrl+D to deselect.
    5. This cuts the dark grays and blacks out of the whole layer, leaving the lighter colors. Now we have to get rid of those lighter colors that are floating over the ocean.
    6. On the layer stack, ctrl+click on the Base layer to load it as a selection.
    7. At the top of the screen click on Select then choose Modify then choose Contract then set the number at 20. This reduces the selection shape and brings it inside of the land outline.
    8. At the top of the screen click on Select then choose Feather then set the number at 20. This "blurs" the selection edge 20 pixels.
    9. At the top of the screen click on Select then choose Inverse. This selects the "ocean" area and not the "land" area but because we feathered the selection it will include some of the mountains on the "land" area. We want this to erase mountains that run right up to the beach.
    10. On the keyboard hit the Delete key then hit Ctrl+D to deselect. Now the mountains that were floating over the ocean are gone as well as the ones that go right up to the beach.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Now that makes sense, I also see what I was doing wrong and learned something all at the same time. I wonder if that is considered multitasking.

I knew the goal of the step and realized I was not getting there, what I didn't know and learned was how to load a layer as a selection. I am making notes on the PDF version, maybe this will help someone else when done.

Everything working out well but have a question, if you notice how I have some of the mountain peak areas extremely white? Did I do something wrong on one of the steps or am I missing something on how to correct.

I have to say, having a blast doing this and recommend to anyone learning.

Note: Figured out attachments here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlas_Step_29.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	330.5 KB 
ID:	15784  

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast