Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's lookin pretty good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks, Coyote, and thanks twice to Ascension, first for solving my dilemma and then for the comment

Forging ahead, here's the hills done. The pdf goes from the beginning up to this point; I made a few changes to the beginning.

The gimp translation post is first, the PS comparison pic is second.

Blog Entries

I think those mountains look great on the Gimp version.

I love Ascension's overall style created in these tuts but I've never been a real fan of the mountains in them, which most of the time to me look more like rolling clouds or a beautiful nebula than mountains, which is why I usually comment when people improve (in my eyes) upon the usual mountain results when they follow this tutorial.

I would imagine that at the distance your map is drawn the mountains would maybe not appear that craggy, dunno, I think they look cool though.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I just had a go at this tut today, and it's been very educational and fun. The results can be seen in this thread here.

All that remains is to say thanks very much!

Sorry for the delay in posting ... between the tablet temporarily going haywire and how darned hard the continental shelf was to translate, this part took a while.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get that shelf to look right (again, differences between ps-bevel and gimp-map). Any suggestions or ideas would be very welcome.

As always, we have a PS shot following Asc's tut to the letter (or trying to), a gimp shot showing the translation, and a pdf for the steps followed.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like you're making really good progress so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    No matter what I did, I couldn't get that shelf to look right (again, differences between ps-bevel and gimp-map). Any suggestions or ideas would be very welcome.
    Consider trying either the layer-effects script (or plugin) for gimp, or my chisel/carve script http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/chisel...32849s125.html on a slightly noised-up continental shelf selection.

-Rob A>

Thanks SG

I think this is the final translation. I didn't go into the country naming, city placing, labelling, etc., since it's already explained very well and didn't really need translation (those steps are pretty transferable from PS to gimp).

If anyone has any crits/suggestions for improvement, I'll certainly update it as needed.

I'm not uploading a PS version this time, since at this point it can be compared with Ascension's, and his is better I am uploading a Word version though, so that the real author can make edits if he wants to.

I hope this helps other gimp users as much as it helped me to make it. I learned a lot about both programs in the process. Thanks again for a great tutorial.

Oops! Cross-post. I'll try that this afternoon and see if I can't get it looking better. Thanks Rob!

Gidde, thanks for this conversion...Yours came out way better than my mix of it and RobA's regional map... and has me half tempted to redo my maps for Krenna again...

Repped... And yes your mountains do look better IMHO...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast