Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

First post. w00t!!

This community looks great, and Ascension's tutorials are clearly a huge part of the reason why. So much generosity is both humbling and inspiring.

This atlas tutorial in particular is a wealth of excellent information, and just to my taste. I'm going to work my way through it this weekend and, if it succeeds, will post the results. Thanks for such a wonderful gift.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indio View Post
    First post. w00t!!

This community looks great, and Ascension's tutorials are clearly a huge part of the reason why. So much generosity is both humbling and inspiring.

This atlas tutorial in particular is a wealth of excellent information, and just to my taste. I'm going to work my way through it this weekend and, if it succeeds, will post the results. Thanks for such a wonderful gift.

Welcome Aboard Indio!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

My pleasure, mate. Welcome aboard.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Is there a compatible choice (I've tried them all and I don't get the black and white "cow" picture like you show) or do I need the full-blown PhotoShop?
    Not sure if this will produce the exact same results, but if memory serves me you could:

copy the layer again
    Image > Adjustments > Posterize (levels: 2)

I've just glanced over this tutorial, and I can tell it's one I'm going to *have* to try out! This style of yours really appeals to me. Wonderful work!
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Lemme know if you have any problems
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    I'm working through your tutorial (actually just got started) and I have a question already. I'm currently using PhotoShop Elements. In Step 4, I don't have an option for Hard Mix. Is there a compatible choice (I've tried them all and I don't get the black and white "cow" picture like you show) or do I need the full-blown PhotoShop?
    You need to use two layers instead of the Hard Mix, one 50% grey and set to Dodge and the other should be black and set to Burn.

Just joined up and saw this tutorial and your result looked amazing so I figured I'd give it a go as my first map ^^. The tutorial was extremely easy to follow however I had a bit of a problem that I can't figure out. My brush seems to have left quite a few marks throughout the map and I was wondering if you knew how to avoid this problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isoph.png 
Views:	556 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	11824  

Looks great!...other than those strokes It looks like you have the brush properties set to something other than normal. First click on the brush tool, then at the top you will see the word "Mode" in the box next to that, make sure it says Normal and not something like multiply or difference. It could be that you did the airbrushing on it's own layer and never merged it down onto the clouds layer, thus you're getting some artifacts from that. If that's not it lemme know and I'll see if I can replicate this effect (might take me a while since I'll be experimenting a lot to find the needle in the haystack).

It looks like that fixed it, I had it set to normal before but I had an airbrush button pressed. I just tried again with the airbrush button not on and it didn't leave the marks as far as I can tell with just doing up to the land step. ^^

Thanks a ton

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast