Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damothi

Map Damothi

So, here's what I came up with whilst following Pyrandon's tutorial: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=530

It was quick, so there's not an extensive amount of detail. Just trying to get the basics of that tutorial down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chuck_map7.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	12194  

Well, I must say: That Compass Rose is simply spectacular.

I really enjoy the feel of everything. The only things I notice are the stark contrast between the forests and the hills and houses. I think the houses could actually use a tiny bit more definition, and the forests a tiny bit less. I'm not sure about the hills, yet, but I think they'll turn out pretty well as they are.

The water, too, looks amazing, but the river borders look a little abrupt, currently. Perhaps something to blend more smoothly from water to shore?

Is that a bazaar or a carnival in the Southern Quarter? Either way, I love the look of it. The sudden burst of colour adds something quite amazing to the city.

Looks really good for a quick run-through!

-asp

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm liking it...it has it's own certain airy feel and atmosphere that certainly diverges from Pyrandon's tut while still retaining the basic floorplan of city map making. The bursts of light and color really add something for me. Pretty cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the input.

I really enjoy the feel of everything. The only things I notice are the stark contrast between the forests and the hills and houses. I think the houses could actually use a tiny bit more definition, and the forests a tiny bit less. I'm not sure about the hills, yet, but I think they'll turn out pretty well as they are.
    As I said, this was mostly just a test, but I'm seriously thinking of either going back and touching this up a bit more or making a brand new map to build on what I learned. As I was writing this, I also realized that I posted this in Regional Mapping rather than City Mapping. Oops.

Is that a bazaar or a carnival in the Southern Quarter? Either way, I love the look of it. The sudden burst of colour adds something quite amazing to the city.
    That is totally a bazaar. Glad you like it.

Very nice so far.

As others have said, the water looks great, but what really caught my eye was the subtlety of the buildings and roads along with what (at least to me) looks like some atmospheric shading from an unseen cloud cover. The smaller roads and alleys are there just enough to be seen without dominating the clusters of buildings.

The only thing that really struck me as looking odd was how abruptly the forested areas ended, almost as if some trees were cut in half. Then again, my eyes aren't what they used to be, so I could very well be seeing things.

All in all, thumbs up from me and I'm looking forward to seeing more work from you.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Looks good. Personally would love a more detailed map. But then, that's me
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it, but to me the compass rose tends to dominate the image, you might consider shrinking it down a bit.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like it. What're the colourful bits in the square? Market stalls? Also, isn't that the compass that is also used in the forum banner? Neat.

Again, thanks for the input. I agree with the compass, and I think I'm going to have to find a way to better that in the future. I can't remember where it is on the forums, but it's here alright.

Anyway, stayed up all night working on this one. Basically, I've tried making a new map for extra practice, following a couple of different tutorials and still just trying to find a style that really clicks. Think I'm getting closer...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chuck_map8.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	12212  

Your style is evolving quite nicely, have some rep. I would love to see more city maps on this forum.

The buildings and streets in the city do not look fully natural yet. There's too much open space, buildings aren't aligned with the main roads, etc. But probably you already know this.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast