Thread: Hrathama

Wip Hrathama

This is a view of the whole continent that contains the region featured here.

This map was made in Photoshop (Was able to buy a friend's copy of CS3 for cheap) using the map style detailed here.

I need to add some things, like cities, region names, etc., but this is my start.

Also, This is the first map that I have gotten to use my new tablet on (that I love).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hrathama.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	9682

Congratulations on getting a tablet! I've had mine for years and I love it.
    Anyway, on to the map itself

I think the colours are a bit too strong - if you've got them on seperate layers you might want to turn them down a little bit. Same for the noise filters on the ocean. For composition you might just want to cut off the lower part of the image, or move the continent down to the middle.
    I'm not sure about the sharp curve in the East-most river, similarly the West-most river has a curve in it where it could/should/might just flow into the ocean, which looks kind of weird to me. I don't know what's going with the second river from the top (the one that almost links the two mountain ranges)... A river starting in one mountain range would probably not get so close to a second mountain range because it would be going uphill. On a different note, the rivers are strangely pixelated - maybe you can do them again with your tablet
    Another suggestion (mind you this is just an idea) is to maybe add a bit more variation to the coastline - the peninsula in the northwest is the only interesting feature at the moment. Maybe add a bay, or an island?
    Also, if the northeast region is a desert, which I'm only thinking because of its colour, you may want to have fewer rivers coming from those mountains - not all of that water can come from underground springs, so some of it has to be snow, which would melt and flow down into the desert as well.

HOWEVER. I think the general shape/layout of the map is pretty cool. I've got a similar thing going on in one of my stories/maps where the only practical way to get to the other country is through an easily defensible pass... well it makes for interesting plot possibilities anyway.

I hope you don't think I hate your map, because I really don't. Just offering some friendly critique, and you can choose to ignore it if you want

I hadn't noticed about the rivers until you said that... Guess I hit pencil instead of brush...

Anyway, the colors did look a bit strong, but I was not all the way through the tutorial yet, so I thought that that might be fixed later... If not, I will do it myself.

The Blank space at the bottom I think is going to contain an archipelago eventually and perhaps a large island as well.

The top right country is part desert, but does not have an significant rivers and is also a savage land, so it doesn't have much mapped in it. This continent is newly discovered by the people in the campaign world (although there is another culture here, but it hasn't been discovered yet.)

Thanks for the suggestions. I will hopefully have another update tomorrow, esp. if classes get canceled again.

Been a long time since I have worked on this, but I have gotten some done.

Added a border and fixed up the rivers. Obviously added a lot in the way of terrain features, cities, and labels. Need to add some Title stuff and text at the bottom... Might add an island there too... I am mildly concerned about the black's contrast with the background, but I think that the glow fixes that in most places.

Anyway, comments are appreciated Let me know if the rivers are realistic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hrathama2.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	12392

EDIT: Already have noticed some issues. There is a spot where the border colors do not match up and the rivers do not smoothly blend into lakes. I guess what I did was a type of "proofreading"... Always notice the mistakes after I turn something in...
    Last edited by Volsung; 04-14-2009 at 12:47 AM.