Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paizo Open Call

I sent him a 3 emails this AM, but only 1 the attachment worked. I just got up (the joys of working graveyards ), and there was a shiny response in my inbasket. Attached is the map I sent and his reply:

Hi Daniel!

Thanks for sending in the maps! Unfortunately, only one of the three came through the email fine—the map of the Shrine of Zehim. The other two maps turned into black boxes—I suspect it's probably some sort of Windows versus Mac battle going on there (we're on Macintoshes here at Paizo).

Anyway, as for the Shrine of Zehim map!

This is a pretty excellent map. It's obvious where the entrance is, where the dungeon is (and where the solid rock surrounding it is), and the dungeon itself is an interesting and engaging shape with a cool mix of caves and room contents.

The grid lines are a little distracting; in area 6 they're all but faded away into obscurity by the pattern on the ground, and the partially completed grid in the water kind of clashes against the grid on land. I prefer to see grids that are standardized across all of the map, clear and visible but unobtrusive. Yet the fact that your map does have a grid on it is quite nice.

For map turnovers, we also prefer that all of the fonts used are clear and simple fonts. The title "Shrine of Zehir" is neat, but it's also a bit too fancy for a turnover, and you run the risk when you do this of making made up words like Zehir get misspelled in the final map as a result.

Cool map! And if you have any ideas why this one would come through fine while the other two wouldn't, please resend the other two maps so I can check them out too!
    So, am I hopeful? Sure, but I know a lot of folks here in the guild are better than me, and I wish all who enter the best of luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Shrine of Zehir.PNG 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	9703  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

@GP Yes, I feel like I've done a good deed posting this when I found it (rather than getting a day on you all ). I'm going to hold off until I have a good map for each category - dungeon, wilderness, regional and city. I don't have a city in my portfolio so that's the task for the 9th of Feb.

@Neon - thanks a lot for posting the response. It's interesting to see what ideas they are interested in.

Yeah, I just sent them some maps, and figured, OK, critiques are good and all, but I thought I would often be working with them to produce maps for areas they have sketched out.

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Torstan, thanks for the link! I know I would love to include my hand drawn regional map I started on in early Dec, but I also know that there is no way I can get it done in the next 2 weeks or so with the stuff on m plate. Not so much in expectation of winning anything(not that it's a contest), but just to get even more feedback, especially from a game designer's standpoint.

Robbie, I put my CL hat on for a sec and was thinking that this may well be an excellent opportunity for another either one time or ongoing partnership either in the form of advertising and/or perhaps yet another prize sponsorship(which of course, could drive some people to get some professional commissions also and that's always a good thing.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post I went around back...

Because I really don't want to lose my attention on my current commission with Profantasy - every client deserves my full attention - I might try to squeeze in a city map only.

Since, as Korash posted from Paizo, "if you're that good, then just send your portfolios to our art directors." So that's what I did. Now I'm on their commissioned artists list. I don't need to worry.

If I have time, I will still do one.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I actually was about to post this here too when I saw someone had already ninja'd it.

The folks over a Paizo are pretty great - super community based, creative, and honest. Their current Beta RPG is quite an impressive experiment.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Redstar - I have browsed through your citywiki before. Are you putting anything forth?
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Where's Gandwarf? They're looking for cities, man; send them Sirilion!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Where's Gandwarf? They're looking for cities, man; send them Sirilion!
    Absolutely! - good call Midgard.

EDIT: I've submitted my three examples/samples - we'll wait and see what kind of response I get.
    Last edited by Steel General; 01-29-2009 at 07:50 AM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Am I the only one with a response?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast