Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: International borders

Excellent lessons sirs .... i´m learning a lot with you

My pleasure. It helps me to procrastinate the four projects I'm supposed to be working on for school.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

At the end i have decided to change the mountains, and do it like this. I´ve used an atlas, i extracted the mountains, applied a cutout filter, and darken it... what do you think? any idea to improve the quality?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Not bad at all, I wonder if you use some kind of lighting effect (like Ascension often uses) if it would give them some texture and depth?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

How can I do that?

You might want to look at Ascensions tutorials to get the exact settings he uses for his hills and/or mountains (maybe he'll drop a response in this thread), but its under FILTER > RENDER > LIGHTING EFFECTS.

I've only used them a few times so you'll need to play around a bit to get a outcome you like.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Here are two different types of Lighting Effects that I use, the first for mountains, the second for flatter stuff. I'm not sure how it will come out since your using an image from an atlas, but you will need the mountains to be grayscale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LE 1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	9839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LE 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	9840  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ok, i find a problem then... i have 2 kind og greys for mountains. I extracted it from a physical map, so they are mix in the same layer... has photoshop any option to select from a layer only 1 color? dark grey for example?

If not i´ll get crazy selecting all - Thanks anyway

You can try SELECT > COLOR RANGE and try to separate the grays into their own layers - not sure how well that will work.

Perfect, that is the tool, i got it ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast