Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: International borders

Another question related with the first image... how can i repeat those boxes without making multiple layers and merging them (too bored an teidous)? I thought in making a brush with a box and then i could repeat it several times... but brushes are in gray scale, not colored... is there any tool similar to the brush but in color?

The brush will be any color you choose. It's the brush tip shape that's bw.
    If you use a square brush and use 50% gray and make one layer/color you can then go in and change color overlay on each layer and add a stroke.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

What Hoel said. In my version of PS my largest standard square brush is 24 pixels so I made one of my own that is 100 so that I can shrink it down as needed. If you were to use the standard 24 pixel one and scale it up then the bottom right corner gets rounded off and it's a pain to have to go back and fix a bunch of rounded off squares. I think it's the right, could be the left. At any rate, take out your square pencil, choose a blue, put down some squares, change to red, put down some more squares, etc. If you need to move a square then use the magic wand tool to click on the shape then the move tool to move it around. Then put down your circles. When done, add a layer style of stroke.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hi again, one more question... how could i do those boxes like a star? i tried rotating a square, but the result is horrible

And another one, how can i obtain the corners rounded? Thanks in advance again!!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There is a control for drawing multi-sided polygons in Photoshop - can't remember where off the top of my head.

As for the rounded corners you can try doing some searches on the web for custom brushes, there's got to be some out there somewhere. Or maybe there is a way to do it in PS that I don't know about.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

how did you get that parchment paper texture like that?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Photoshop comes with a star in the custom shapes. For rounding off corners: copy the shape into a new channel, then gaussian blur it a few pixels, up the contrast and voila...just copy it and paste it back into a new layer. By the way, this looks great.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow. There's a way easier way to do that. I'm not sure if it looks the same in earlier versions of PS, but in CS3:

Select the Polygon tool. In the tool options bar, click the little down arrow next to the Custom Shapes Tool. In the box that appears, check "Smooth Corners" "Star" and "Smooth Indents." Set "Indent Sides By" to somewhere around 20%. Finally, back to the toolbar to set the "Sides" to 6. You can see here my experiments, and also some pointers on where to look for the tools you need:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	10390

You can use the "Radius" field in the drop-down box to make sure that every star is the same size, effectively making a brush out of the shape.

Of course, Illustrator, CorelDraw or Inkscape would give you much more control over how the shape looks. There is unfortunately no way that I know of to set the corner radius in Photoshop.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Ahhh... Midgard to the rescue - I knew there was something in there somewhere.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice
    Earth, North American Continent, Southeast USA
    Blog Entries

I assume that this would work on a conworld map too?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast