Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Troops Maps

Wip Tactical Troops Maps

Tactical Troops is my first board game. I'm working now on maps/boards.
    Any opinions/suggestions?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapa1.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	11407

Name:	mapa3.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	283.3 KB 
ID:	11408

Name:	mapa5.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	11409
    Last edited by tecbug; 03-17-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No tips from me, these sort of situational maps are beyond me. I can, however, say welcome, good job, and good luck
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I play a lot of board games....want to tell us a bit more about this one? Wouldn't take a lot to improve the walls. If line of sight is important, nothing like having a little dot in the middle of the hexes as well. If players want to put the game away mid game, hex numbers would be good to record positions.

Nice start though! What are you making this in?

I second ravells, dots in the center of the hex are great for LOS purposes and hex numbers are great even if you don't put the game away ("I'm moving to/shooting at hex B8."). Also, could you elaborate more on what these maps are used for? A sense of scale would be nice - is each hex 5'?

Where did you get the hexgrid? I like hexes over squares, but I find it difficulty to make "square" buildings/rooms fit onto a hexgrid (at least not cleanly).

I just have to add that this sort of thing is just screaming to be played in a VTT. With a VTT, you can have fog of war and vision automatically calculated for you and generate maps that would blow the socks off the players.

From the board game perspective, I would like to hear about how the map affects the mechanics of the game in addition to what you are trying to achieve with the images on the map.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Middle points for LOS - good idea. I'll do it. I have to think also about hex numeration - could solve problems with scenario-making.
    Thanks a lot for ideas.
    What is VTT?

About the game:
    Tactical Troops is simple and dynamic tactical boardgame placed in military-SF setting (like Aliens or Starship Troopers). Aim of the game is to complete tasks on closed base complex. Base (map) is made of connected boards (presented in first post).

Each player controls 2 to 5 groups of troopers (1, 2 or 3 soldiers in group). He has 3 AP (action points) every turn. He can:
    - move to adjacent hex (1AP)
    - shoot (2AP)
    - throw grenade (explosive, gas or flash-bangs) (2AP)
    - regroup (1AP)
    - set a mine (2AP)
    - guard (3AP)

Mechanics are based on d6 roll. Every shooting soldier in group - one d6. So when group of 3 soldiers shoots player rolls 3d6. Every dice is separate "hit or miss" test. Every hit (success) kills one trooper.
    Success is determined by distance between shooter and target:
    1 hex - 2+
    2 hex - 3+
    3 hex - 4+
    4 hex - 5+
    5 hex - 6
    (2+ means 2 or above)

Additionally there are monsters crawling in base corridors. They are controlled by AI - set of simple rules that they must follow. Eg. go to the closest group, or go to the biggest group. Disputational movements are solved by die rolling.

Base example:

Name:	set01.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	486.5 KB 
ID:	11481

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tecbug View Post
    What is VTT?
    Virtual Table Top
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by tecbug View Post
    What is VTT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Virtual Table Top
    Yup. If you follow the RPTools link in my signature you'll see an example of one. There are several out there. Redrobes actually authors one as well that has some nice features. If you search through the VTT forum you'll find links to others as well as examples of how they can be used.

You should definitely check them out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Software Dev/Rep

tecbug, this would definitely be trivial to drop into a VT for play over the internet, or even in the same room.

For examples of what you can do with a VT, check out

http://rptoolstutorials.net/

Feel free to PM me with any questions, or check out the RPTools user forums at:

http://forums.rptools.net

It should be noted that trevor is the developer of RPTools, and extremely friendly and more than accommodating when it comes to questions and the like. Thanks for popping in and posting those links. Very handy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast