Thread: Intro to Newbie

Guild Member

Post Intro to Newbie

My name is S. Megan Payne, and my handle is aiRo25. Yes, the R is capitalized.

My primary interest in cartography is for my science fiction fantasy worlds that I'm writing about, plus I've always loved graphic design. For a year or so I ran a stationery company. Now I work as a dental claims processor for Wellpoint (Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield).

I'm totally new to digital cartography, but when I was a kid, I drew maps by hand. They were also pretty aweful since I can only really do art on a computer and have it come out nice. I have no innate artistic/drawing talent, but I've got a knack for computer art.

Mostly, (due to aforementioned lack of drawing talent) I use Corel PhotoPaint, because my designs incorporate a lot of actual photographs, and I work from there.

Now to somehow apply these skills to mapping.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

My suggestion is to start with the Zombie Nirvana tutorials. They're for Photoshop, but most of the things you can do in PS you can do with PhotoPaint, though it might take a little bit of experimentation to find equivalent tools. http://www.youtube.com/ZombieNirvana

Gimp tutorials can also be adapted to PhotoPaint.

edit: Oh! And welcome!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by aiRo25 View Post
    Mostly, (due to aforementioned lack of drawing talent) I use Corel PhotoPaint, because my designs incorporate a lot of actual photographs, and I work from there.

Now to somehow apply these skills to mapping.

Though I use Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2, I do use lots of photos in my mapping, so my tutorials and many of maps probably fit into your asthetic style. Check out my stuff throughout the site.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-23-2008 at 02:13 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member

Post Thanks all!

I will go ahead and check stuff out. Probably slowly because of Christmas, but thanks for the help.

Guild Member

Post Goodbye for now

This is a sad moment, but a necessary one. I made slow progress in the first place learning mapping, but I'm going to simply have to bow out of attempting due to bilateral upper extremity tendonitis. Simply put, my arms hurt and I have to get off the computer.

Best wishes to continuing mappers. Wish I could be there, but it simply is no longer an option for me.

aiRo25

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well I certainly hope you feel better soon, hopefully you can still write your stories
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps