Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starship Sections Maps (Part 1)

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    Kihmbar, these look great.

If the objects are your own work, would you be willing to produce a folder of them separately, as Torstan did with his dungeon elements?

If they're not, could you link your source?

I'm planning to do some scifi interiors in Viewingdale, and If I could import these objects (consoles, weapons, pipes, etc) rather than making my own, it would save a lot of work.

Cheers.
    My sources are:
    The Holocron - Under Downloads --> Tiles there is a download called 101 Map-Making Objects. These are all for the Star Wars universe (but I'm sure you could apply them to other Sci-fi settings). I use the computers and chairs from this object pack quite frequently.
    RPG MapShare - Their gallery has Sci-fi objects (vehicles, spacecraft, creatures, structures, weapons, etc.). I believe the tanks from the gas refinery overlay came from the "Modern" objects section of RPG MapShare.
    Wizards of the Coast SWMinis Forum - There is one thread in particular (Maps and Elements) which has a lot of good objects for the Star Wars universe.
    Dundjinni Modern/Sci-fi Forums - I've found some good stuff from these forums, but sometimes you get things that are specifically designed for the Dundjinni software.
    NASA Picture of the Day - I use this site for background images. They usually have a Hubble picture two or three times a week.

I have made my own objects. Right now it is just a few, the reactor and the generator. I'll start up a new thread in "Mapping Elements" for those. I usually try to find it somewhere first (there isn't any reason to re-invent the wheel) and if I don't find what I'm looking for, I'll make it. So far, the objects I have created are based on fan art of new modules for the Battlestations game. I wanted objects which were present in the Battlestations tiles and couldn't find something close - so I made my own.

Thanks Kihmbar, a couple of those are new to me.

I usually try to find it somewhere first (there isn't any reason to re-invent the wheel) and if I don't find what I'm looking for, I'll make it.
    Likewise, but with my art skills, I really prefer to find something.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

I like your corridors. They make a good border .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planet-wag-7.png 
Views:	828 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	17539  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

This month I've been working on a starship hangar bay. I don't think I'll finish it by the end of the month as I had desired. Here is what I have so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starship Section - Hanger Bay.jpg 
Views:	1665 
Size:	981.5 KB 
ID:	17976
    In clockwise order: top left is the pilot quarters; top middle is a conference room; top right is a cargo storage area; middle right is a small medical station; bottom right is another (smaller) cargo storage area; bottom left is the pilot ready room; and the center is the hanger area. Within the hanger area, the top left will be a mechanics station, the top middle is the control room, and the top right will be a cargo staging area. The exit (to space) is the bottom of the hanger area.

As always comments and criticisms are welcome. I am considering what ships I want to put in the hanger (if any) - I've seen some nice layouts of the Millennium Falcon or possible an array of starfighters. During most adventures the hanger bay was the location where the player characters' ship landed, so I have also considered leaving the hanger open.

As a side note, the thing that has kept me from completing the hanger bay has been a map for an adventure. The player characters will be liberating a methane gas facility from a group of pirates. I originally wanted to play this adventure live (instead of online) and just draw the map on my 2'x3' dry-erase hexgrid based on:

Name:	Methane Facility layout.jpg 
Views:	676 
Size:	554.7 KB 
ID:	17972
    The tanks are methane storage tanks. The top and bottom middle sections are hanger bays. The middle is the control facilities. However, since we are playing online shortly I made up a quick map for online play. I will use the latest edition of the hanger bay for the hangers and this for the control facilities:

Name:	Methane Facility - Middle.jpg 
Views:	828 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	17973
    (I just added wall fill into two of the areas where I couldn't think of anything else to put.) I've included openings where the players can exit to the methane storage tank areas. The methane storage tanks are just flips and rotations of these two sections:

Name:	Methane Facility Tanks - Top Left.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	848.3 KB 
ID:	17974 (top left - flip for top right, rotate 180° for bottom right, flip and rotate 180° for bottom left)

Name:	Methane Facility Tanks - Middle Left.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	17975 (middle left - flip for middle right)
    They should be fairly easy to piece together online. (The overall map would be entirely too big to play with.) This is just a quick map concept for me. But still any comments or criticisms would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kihmbar View Post
    Barracks:
    Attachment 9759
    The barracks has crew's quarters on the left and officer's quarters on the right. The center area is a common mess/recreation hall. Top middle is storage area and bottom middle is an armory.
    Its Star Wars Clue!

Sorry for the sarcasm, but thats what popped into my head when i saw this one.

I haven't posted in a while because my computer crashed and I am just now getting it back up. I'll try to get back more regularly to add more sections and overlays.

I guess you could use this as a Star Wars variant for Clue. My guess is that Mr. Vader did it in the Throne Room with the Force Lightning.

I wanted to have different sections of the map so that overlays could be used. This gives the GM the ability to replace a maintenance shop with a barracks. Or, as I've been working on some starfighter bay overlays, a starfighter bay. One for the Empire (bad guys), one for the Alliance (good guys), and one for those of you who want to insert your own ships (empty bay):

Name:	Starfighter Bay 12x12 - Empire.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	856.4 KB 
ID:	21415 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starfighter Bay 12x12 - Alliance.jpg 
Views:	886 
Size:	858.7 KB 
ID:	21413 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starfighter Bay 12x12 - Empty.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	857.1 KB 
ID:	21414

My intention is to allow the GM to customize maps by using overlays to generate a map of a starship interior or starbase (or planetside base). Theoretically, a GM could take a blank map and piece overlays together to build what they want. I don't know how reasonable the map would be, but it would be possible. Use them however you see fit - replace the rooms of your Clue board with Star Wars variants. For those of you playing a non-Star Wars science fiction game, use the empty bays and put your own shuttlecraft or whatever on it. I have trouble finding science fiction maps on a tactical scale, so I hope these maps and overlays help fill in the gaps.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I also am open to suggestions for other sections (larger maps) or overlays (smaller sub-sections). [I'm currently working on a hanger bay, command deck, and detention level for the larger section maps.]

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

heh I love the B wing (my favorite SW ship)

Ok I have to ask, are you actually useing a mapping program, or something like Photoshop?

Quote Originally Posted by Farseer Wraith View Post
    Ok I have to ask, are you actually useing a mapping program, or something like Photoshop?
    I'm using Gimp. I tile the floors and then add objects, walls, grunge, etc as layers.

Excellent series. I'll be using some of these (or bits of) for an encounter in a pbp game I'll be running. Thanks for sharing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast