Thread: Quick question..

Post Quick question..

Im probably missing something very very obvious. How the heck do you change or get rid of the ugly two-colored frame that CC3 places on your maps by default?

Im still trying to grasp the basics of this program, so such simple things sometimes lose me.

I tried doing a search in it's help file for "'Frame" and "Border" but neither gave me what I wanted.

You need to thaw all the layers and then click Erase-->Select the border-->Do It.

Thanks for the help!

One problem has now arisen though.. under the border was a light color of water, and deleting that gets rid of other water areas of the same type.

Yet if i try to just paint over it the paint actually goes beyond the extent of the old borders now.. how do I fix it so the edge of the map is still where it used to be?

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think one of the reasons the border was the size it was was to clip the symbols that went over the edge. You'll need something else to do that now that the bigugly one is gone.

Easy way to get rid of it without losing anything else is to go to your layers and switch to the MAP BORDER layer...then freeze all or even hide all the other layers...NOW you can select everything thats selectable and delete it. Border gone.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

yep, got all of that taken care of.

I noticed another huge change after removing that border as well... the scale on my map is completely different. Apparently the map used that border to set my scale, and now that there is none, all my symbols are super small when I place them. Im not complaining, I had set my map at a super high rez so that I could add really really small icons and details to the map, and simply zoom in to show the mapped countries instead of having different maps. So now instead of starting a symbol and having to shrink it way down, now it's about the right size. And the filler trees are actually the perfect size now, before I couldnt use them, the trees were the size of cities.. now they are the perfect size

As far as I'm aware the border doesn't affect symbol scale in any way, but this may have been an added feature for CC3 that I just haven't noticed. The scale on overland maps is 1:1 mile, but when you place symbols you can set the scale to whatever you want and the recommended scale is (map width/1000) so perhaps removing the border just caused a perceptual difference? You may want to mention this behavior on the CC elist as well to see if those wiser than myself know what is going on recognizing that this isn't a bad thing of course.

Well a few other things changed after the border was deleted. Inexplicably all of my river templates changed to a dark blue color instead of their default river color.. their thickness was also changed, so I did some digging, went in to change the color and try and figure out how to make them thicker once again. If you go into the river's properties, under custom drawing tools, there is a little boxed off area that says "Width:" and has three circles you can select from:

0 Use current width
    0 Fixed: 0.00000
    0 Fraction of Map Border: 0.10000

Originally the fraction of map border was checked, so the river was bigger.. now that there is no map border, the it's default size is super thin. Im assuming this is how the other symbols are effected as well.

Ah ha! Yup. New feature I hadn't learned about yet. I imagine that all you would have to do is draw a new border on the border layer using the border tool and it will restore everything, or you can change the settings. I suspect adding a border back in is faster. I see now what Simon meant about new features removing old ones. Yes, it is nice to have things a bit more "automatic" but it is at the cost of having more control like before.

I ended up just using the "'fixed" option and changing the rivers to my desired size. Some of the controls in here are rather confusing in just how you are supposed to trigger them.