Thread: Hello! Here is a WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Hello! Here is a WIP

Hello! My name is Towser and I thought I would say howdy and show you a map I am working on. Its a big city called Smale in a land known as Dalivean. So far I have put about 10 hours of work into this map. I want to build the city up and around the cliffs. I am going to be building the cliffs up higher though before I start adding anything else.

I like the idea of using hot air balloons as transportation in this city. I have a pretty big story line that goes along with this city and this world, so if you get curious and want to know more, feel free to ask me! Also any and all critiques are welcome...but be nice, I'm a bleeder!

Other Map info:
    I made this using photoshop 7, and everything is on its own layer. The original file is 20 inches by 20 inches at 300 dpi. This version is 10 by 10. The water is from a texture I found in the resources forum. To make the cliffs I just drew the shapes and filled them in. Then I used the burn tool and a soft round brush to shade and blend the top layer and the bottom layer. I am hoping the cliffs look better as I add more altitude. I also used a few random grunge brushes I had to give some texture to the ground.

Hope you enjoy!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smale Draft 1.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	9774

Welcome to the Guild.

Your idea of Hot Air balloon travel intrigues me.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Neat idea about the balloons. Now for the dreaded 'critique'...

- Love the shapes of the cliffs,inlets, etc.
    - I think the cliffs can be blended a little better where they meet the grass, its a very sudden transition and the color of the dirt seems a little saturated to me, but may very well be appropriate for what you're trying to do.

Look forward to seeing this progress.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the tips, compliments and REP! I plan on blending the cliffs with the ground sooner or later, and I will also shade the cliffs more when I know which direction the light is coming from and add appropriate shadows from the looming cliffs as well. I also might add more little cliffs around the big cliffs and connect them with bridges. There is definitely going to be water falls coming of the top of this beast!

Towser: Give me falls! Love to see that water flow!

welcome to the community Towser!
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Welcome to the Guild, Towser. Have some rep. Can't wait to see the waterfalls.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx