Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creeping Death

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

More updates. Went a lil crisper on the ridges but still can't bring myself to go all the way as my method doesn't have as much info as a DEM or GIS map would, started labeling towns, put in some dungeon markers (one of these is where the plague was unleashed from), and a tentative map title. The fonts are arial, angry blue, and angry blue condensed all with 75% verticality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	creeping death 2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	9892  
    Last edited by Ascension; 02-03-2009 at 12:37 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice job my friend...love that Angry Blue font - it works well for this.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very pretty. I like the dirty look.

NymTevlyn

The rivers would look better if you go rid of the bumpy texture.

This was originally meant to be a region, then it morphed into a terrain elevation experiment, so before it gets way out of hand I'm about ready to call this done and move on to something new. Let me know if there's something I missed/overlooked or need to revisit/tweak/fix. I didn't really feel like going all out with a border, frame, fancy graphics and whatnot but can if people think I should...otherwise I'll call it a successful experiment and leave it at that. Fixed those bumps Nym, I left in before cuz I thought they broke up the rivers a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	creeping death 2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	9934  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That looks great - good work. Like how this one turned out.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Besides the map being very awesome (par for the Ascension course) I love that cartouche! How did you do that?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Besides the map being very awesome (par for the Ascension course) I love that cartouche! How did you do that?
    Without knowing his exact steps - it looks to me like a beveled shape with a "wind" filter and a wood/brick texture applied, and I would guess lots of "burn" applied to the lettering.

The compass rose & the "Stay Out' like like they were drawn with a mouse (could be wrong on that tho)...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The phorce is strong with the Steel one. Exactly spot on except I added a little bit of white overlay to the wood pattern (which I think I found on some country/western "Rolling Stone"-equivalent music page while looking for pics of the goddess Shania...even tho I hate country/western she can come live with me now that she's single again). I wanted it to look like a sign that someone had carved with a knife and then gotten slightly burnt...like a warning sign someone might see when entering a plagued city. I might go back and make the shape fit the boards better though, it looks kinda rough. Oh and the bevel has a texture that is the same as the pattern.
    Last edited by Ascension; 02-04-2009 at 05:36 PM.

I'm with ya on Shania my friend...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast