Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: All about city block tiling scripts.

When we were coming in to land in Dubai, the houses there looked like they had been built by a CD3 noob, or that they had come out of sim city or something...check out the google earth pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dubai.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	904.6 KB 
ID:	10097  

I know this is off topic, but I'm astonished at the number of swimming pools and grassy lawns in that desert!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

If they can engineer an indoor ski slope, swimming pools have got to be a breeze.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Its not really a thread jack. As I have mentioned, my map didnt look like a city at all. So theres something about a city in its house grouping and linkage that must be present that makes it look like a city. Of course cities around the world look different and your right this is pretty soulless but then the aim of Dubai planning has a lot of conformity - like the palm and so on. I am a fan of Syd Mead and he has been out there helping to design it and getting the skyscrapers to look like some futuristic vista. I am sure it will work out but despite liking his work theres more to a skyline than it looking aesthetically pleasing - it has to be functional and inspiring and so on. I guess out of downtown they have plumped for super functional and to hell with any inspirational stuff. Dubai is a bit of a veneer of luxury which will fall apart very quickly.

So if my script had produced that then you would have all said how trash it was and you would have been right. So the question is... what makes one of those archetypal medieval cities so very not soulless ? How can that effect get scripted would be the next question too

On a side note, has anyone been to "The Palm" - does it look better from the ground ?

Blog Entries

Cool thanks, - thats a very thorough set of notes to have a browse through and see if I can see what I can do about this city scripting business.

I think a city generation algorithm would have to grow more organically, possibly some varient of an L system.

I'll dig up an old link http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=920 where I was playing with such a system using the processing language. I was focusing on streets, not buildings, but such an approach might work best in the long run.

I reference this site: http://www.complexification.net/gall...rate/index.php which has an applet of the script I modified. click on the demo to see what looks like a city "grow" before your eyes

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I reference this site: http://www.complexification.net/gall...rate/index.php which has an applet of the script I modified. click on the demo to see what looks like a city "grow" before your eyes

-Rob A>
    That is really cool stuff..thanks for posting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the link RobA, now I want a huge digital picture frame that just runs variations of that,,,,SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345